Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

24 Posts

January 17th, 2020 09:00

Aurora R9, promotes easy upgrades (memory compatibility issues)

So I ordered and Alienware Aurora R9 Computer which I'm still waiting for by the way. And was Doing some research on the system and was wondering about upgrading the Aurora R9 in the Future, like Alienware is advertising that it is one of the most easiest upgradable systems. Found some complaints from people saying the same hyperx fury ram that comes with the new alienware aurora does not work with the normal retail version of the hyperx fury ram. So emailed dell tech people on here and was told that the hyperx fury ram is the same as retail just have to make sure i get the exact ram, I know the exact ram doesn't work from others people having this issue. So i emailed Kingtson the manufacture of the hyperx ram for Dell and this is what i was told quote: " the Aurora uses customized variants of the FURY modules that do not work with the commercial variants. You will either need to get an upgrade through Dell, or replace the existing kit with an entirely new kit of memory. " Checked through dell and i cannot purchase the same hyperx fury ram through dell, So how is this suppose to be a easy fully upgradable system if i cant even add the simplest of things like more ram to my existing ram that i cant use the same retail ram and can't even get a ram upgrade through dell. if i knew this at the beginning i would have either ordered more ram at the time and bumped it upt to 32gb (if i was informed of this from dell that does not publish this anywhere and there own workers don't even know) or most likely would not have even ordered the alienware aurora R9. Just giving me more reason to send it back if it ever shows up.Just mad that now in the future if i keep the computer and decide to upgrade the memory, instead of just adding to the memory i have to replace it all. so again false advertising on there end with the specially made memory just for dell

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

January 17th, 2020 09:00

I purchased the Kingston Hyper X Fury RAM from amazon and resold the alienware stock ram.

24 Posts

January 17th, 2020 10:00

If i could find another set of stock alienware ram that matches i would be ok with that. just mad they don't have a disclaimer while selecting your ram options "before you choose your ram,choose carefully cause you cant upgrade your ram through dell or with retail ram of the same make, Don't yourself" Defiantly would have picked the 32gb faster ram if only knew. but probably save myself money in the future on 32gb retail cause it was like as $200 option through dell which could get 32gb of like 3200mhz good gaming ram for like 160. will try to find some more of the dell fury ram first though

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 17th, 2020 10:00

AFAIK, it has been this way since the Aurora-R5 days.

I always suggest that prospective owners get their memory factory-installed.

Exotic (XMP, etc.) memory or not, all exactly matched DIMMs has always been preferred (like forever) and sometimes even mandatory. It is near impossible to end-up with an optimal config when trying to install various DIMMs here-and-there or now-and-later.

It IS EASY to change/upgrade. Just pop those DIMMs out and install a (compatible) matched set.

Don't get mad, that is just my thoughts. I hope it works-out for you in the end. Aurora-R9 looks nice and there is more to it than just memory.

24 Posts

January 17th, 2020 11:00

If i would have known that the hyperx memory was not compatible i would have went with the 32gb option for sure. I'm mad they don't state it anywhere from dell that is non compatible with the retail version, you may know this but i don't know it and most other people don't, there's barely any cases out there on it and only 1 on the R9 and this is my first alienware computer experience. Even dell couldn't give me an answer on the ram compatibly i had to go right to kingston and them telling me it wasn't compatible,even though there website also says it is and give you a part# for more ram.That"s why I'm mad, for something that apparently has been known since like the r7 still isn't acknowledge by dell, there own people don't know. should be mad at kingston too i guess since there website sells extra ram that doesn't work with it as well that they claim is the same.

24 Posts

ya not those words but something that gets the same point across

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@fubar82 wrote:

just mad they don't have a disclaimer while selecting your ram options "before you choose your ram,choose carefully cause you cant upgrade your ram through dell or with retail ram of the same make, Don't yourself" 

Agreed (but maybe not those exact words). 

Not long after I bought my Aurora-R6 , we asked Dell to add DIMM-count (for Single/Dual-Channel) config descriptions , and they listened. So there is that.

January 17th, 2020 12:00

I get it. If Dell would sell parts for their machines it would be fine but they don't. If you are going to use your own versions of parts, you need to also sell those parts. GPU's and PSU's are the same problem with Dell. They rebrand them and then you have to worry about what is compatible. Does anybody know why Dell does this anyway? Seriously, what is the point of having rebranded GPU's or memory if you are not in the business of selling those parts to make money anyway? 

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

January 17th, 2020 13:00

That is odd, have you tried calling them up or chatting them?  I know they have parts available for sale that aren't posted on their website.  But honestly though, with the markup, if you're upgrading it's usually cheaper to buy new non-OEM compatible parts from third party retailers like amazon, or OEM parts from places like ebay.  It's just extra leg work verifying compatibility before purchase if you don't go OEM.     

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 17th, 2020 14:00

@Awhispersecho wrote:

1. They rebrand them and then you have to worry about what is compatible.

2. Does anybody know why Dell does this anyway? Seriously, what is the point of having rebranded GPU's or memory if you are not in the business of selling those parts to make money anyway? 

Because the Aliens tell them to . 

1. Well, most of it isn't re-branded ... it is built that way, for Dell, and they buy large quantities of them.

2. Ever heard of Unique Selling Proposition (USP)  ? Gone car shopping recently ?

Also, helps with Dell warranty coverage because all that OEM stuff carries the same warranty as whole machine (even on extended contract).

That's just things off the top of my head.

24 Posts

January 17th, 2020 16:00

Its coming Through Purolator. i talked to someone there and they said they don't deliver Saturdays. What the company pays for expedited service on a Friday, defeats the whole purpose of the 1 day delivery lol. Whole thing has been a from the beginning of my order so why should delivery be any different.

24 Posts

Anywho there's not much anyone can do, Just would have been nice to know before spending over 3k on computer. Would have went with a different company or at the least would have ordered with the 32gb of ram if I had known of the compatibility issues.And if they would state the memory was not compatible with retail they just even may sell more 32 and 64gb set ups and make more money. Dell should at least acknowledge this issue and give me 32gb of free ram for there misleading information lol. Just gone news my pc arrived 3 hours away from me at the purolator depot this afternoon but now have to wait till monday cause of when it arrived and there closed weekends, so now i got something all new to be mad about now lol, specially when i was told it was just picked up today when it has been sitting since monday for pickup and that was expedited out as  well.

2.2K Posts

Expedited courier should still be delivering on Saturday. Is this FedEx or UPS? All my last couple of Dell and AW R8 arrived with UPS expedited.

EDIT: just checked. UPS business as usual on Monday for MLK Day. FedEx has modified hours.

2.2K Posts

January 17th, 2020 18:00

Sorry, missed any earlier context that this is happening in Canada.

Maybe that’s why you can’t get the extra RAM through Dell there? If you can find the SKU number for the RAM listed on your shipping list, you can reach out to the Dell admins here for help?

24 Posts

January 17th, 2020 19:00

They did give me the sku# and part# of the ram when i was in contact with them to find out what hard drives where put in my system and asked for the part# of the ram that was installed and this is what they gave me: 16GB Dual Channel HyperX(TM) FURY DDR4 XMP at 2666MHz Part # G59T6 / SKU 370-AEZE. It does not exist on either the American or Canadian dell sites that i could find and nowhere on google. so if someone can find it let me know. Also asked about power supply and is the 850 gold, i guess thats nice lol, anyone know the make of there power supplies?. These are the  part# i got and descriptions i got from dell that's was invoiced to my build:

PWR SPLY, 850,EPA,GOLD,V2,HTK

SSDR,512G,P34,80S3,HYNIX (apparently a decent ssd)

TOSHIBA PC601,HD,2TB,S3,7.2K,512E,TSH-MARS ($555cdn on amazon, lol )

with i7 9700k and rtx2080 super.

Community Manager

• 

54.4K Posts

January 18th, 2020 11:00

Let's not have anymore profanity out here. Thanks.

I can see the confusion. G59T6 is a Dell sales mod number, not an Dell actual part number.

G59T6 = (two) 5H5PW 8GB XMP Fury HyperX

Aurora R9 OEM XMP memory sticks =

N205T 16GB XMP Fury HyperX, DDR4, 3200MHz, 2GX64, Unbuffered, Dual Rank, 1.25v, Non-ECC, 288 pin, Kingston XN205T-MIE
RMWRN 16GB XMP Fury HyperX, DDR4, 2933MHz, 2Gx64, Unbuffered, Dual Rank, 1.35v, Non-ECC, 288 pin, Kingston XRMWRN-HYA/XRMWRN-MIE
RGM6C 16GB XMP Fury HyperX, DDR4, 2666MHz, 2Gx64, Unbuffered, Dual Rank, 1.25v, Non-ECC, 288 pin, Kingston XRGM6C-MIB/XRGM6C-MIE
J69DF 8GB XMP Fury HyperX, DDR4, 2933MHz, 1Gx64, Unbuffered, Single Rank, 1.35v, Non-ECC, 288 pin, Kingston XJ69DF-HYA/XJ69DF-MIE
5H5PW 8GB XMP Fury HyperX, DDR4, 2666MHz, 1Gx64, Unbuffered, Dual Rank, 1.25v, Non-ECC, 288 pin, Kingston X5H5PW-MIB/X5H5PW-MIE

Aurora R9 850w PSU =
9XG5C Huntkey Electric Co Ltd, E-Star, Gold, Version 2
D1J02 Delta, E-Star, Bronze

No Events found!