Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

16 Posts

February 14th, 2020 17:00

Aurora R9, GeForce GTX 950, no signal from monitor and keyboard

Similar problem here. Dell Aurora R9 came with the GeForce GTX 1650. I want to swap it with my older 2015 released GeForce GTX 950. 

460w power supply, has the 6 pin connector that the GeForce GTX 950 needs. Now I have the same problem. No display or keyboard lights with the GeForce GTX 950 in the computer.

Dell support is useless. I have had too many headaches with this computer. It is supposed to be easily upgradeable and Dell aims it at gamers!

If I can't figure this out soon, I am returning the computer. I just got it a week ago.

Why would you want to downgrade to the GeForce GTX 950 which has a 73% drop in Gaming performance index? DELL-Admin

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

February 17th, 2020 14:00

@alirz1 :

Dells website says the r9 has the DP port. Every GTX 1650 card out there comes with HDMI and DP. However the one in my R9 DOES NOT have a DP port but instead a DVI! So yes, Dell is partially to blame, even though im not blaming them for my issue really.

Just went over to configure an R9 to see the port options and there's a "*" disclaimer saying IO availability depends on selection of graphics card.

Can you use a hdmi-to-dp adapter?

February 17th, 2020 15:00

I'm no expert on the adapter, but I would assume this allows connectivity, but wont be able to convert HDMI to 120hz?

We are missing some info here, and it would be nice to know if the OP has a 120hz monitor. If not, then this is a case of spinning his wheels, and he can put back the original card and go HDMI.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

February 17th, 2020 15:00

@alirz1 wrote:

i already tried that doesnt work. 

ok so to add more to the confusion. when i first installed the 950 in the pc like 3 days ago, had same problem. After after some fiddling, not sure what i did, but it started working. The secure boot was on at that point.

1. Honestly, I still stand by my original opinion... I really think this is an issue on the GPU firmware even if you were able to get it to post using secureboot on a couple occasions.  This is a pretty common issue believe it or not.  Many people on this forum, myself included, have installed non-Dell GPUs in the Aurora's z370 board.  But those maxwell GPUs predated both DP 1.4 and 1.3 so I would expect this issue even.  You can plug the GPU into your old system and update the GPU vbios here, then you can try plugging it in again in the Aurora R9 (should take you like 5 minutes):   https://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownload-March2009/confirmation.php?url=/Windows/uefi/firmware/1.0/NVIDIA_DisplayPort_Firmware_Updater_1.0-x64.exe&firmware=1&lang=us&type=Other  Alternatively, if you no longer have your old system, you can try booting using an hdmi cable instead of a DP cable. 

2. If the above doesn't work, I just looked at your photo and noticed the retail tag on one RAM stick.  Did you recently upgrade your RAM using retail Kingston HyperX fury???  Because the Dell Hyperx fury is custom spec'ed for Dell and has different timings and requires a higher voltage to maintain stability over the comparable retail RAM.  You usually can't mix them without encountering issues.  So the other thing to do would be to remove any retail RAM, clear CMOS, and reboot using only the OEM RAM to rule out a RAM issue.  

3.  If it were me, I would just return and rebuy a system with a higher GPU that includes DP outputs.  I wouldn't want to go that far backwards in tech.  I'm am surprised Dell's didn't include a GPU with at least 1 DP in a gaming PC.  

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

February 17th, 2020 16:00

Correct, my pascal titan did not support uefi secureboot / DP 1.4 on the Aurora.  I got black screens on startup exactly like you describe. I updated the firmware per @GTS81 's suggestion and was good to go. 

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

February 17th, 2020 16:00

Reading @r72019's reply just made me remember that one time he had this Titan card that works as a secondary card but not for boot. Now you can do the same for your system. Plug the 1650 in PCIe slot 1 and the 950 into the other slot. Boot up the computer and see if the system recognizes the 950. If it's a case of works-as-slave-not-as-master, then we have another path to debug this and look for solution.

16 Posts

February 17th, 2020 17:00

Well now that you mention that. My r9 came with 8gb. I did add another stick of 8gb from Amazon,same hyper furry 2666mhz stick.

I guess I can always try with dells ram stick in the motherboard.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

@alirz1 Since you mentioned this happened after unplugging the PC, the other thing some people have been encountering with using or mixing the retail kingston hyperx ram on the Aurora is it is common for it to work fine initially and then even on waking from sleep and then blackscreen after the first shutdown.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

@alirz1 yea but they are not the same unfortunately.  The Dell Hyperx fury is custom spec'ed for Dell and has different timings and requires a higher voltage to maintain stability over the comparable retail hyperx fury RAM.  You usually can't mix them without encountering issues like this. The Dell BIOS is especially picky with non OEM ram

16 Posts

February 17th, 2020 19:00

Ok what about if I only use non Dell ram? I.e not mix.

16 Posts

February 17th, 2020 19:00

Please ignore my post about different ram. I had a brain fart. I got confused with my other dell system. My r9 has dells ram sticks only.

so I tired tired a gtx 1660 from bestbuy in my r9 today. And it boots up fine.

so there is something the computer doesn’t like about the gtx 950. I’m dumbfounded.

16 Posts

February 18th, 2020 20:00

So I guess this thread went nowhere. No dell support folks hanging here by any chance?

Would have really liked to figure this out.

No Events found!