Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 15th, 2022 12:00

Aurora R9, memory integrity issue

Alienware Aurora R9

Alienware Aurora R9

I have just been informed by Dell tech support that my Aurora R9 Intel Core i9-9900K CPU 3.60GHz Coffee Lake-S processor is not compatible with Windows 11 core isolation memory integrity. So I cannot turn on memory integrity on this PC and there is nothing Dell can do about it as it an Intel problem with this particular processor.

Gutted as this PC is only 2 1/2 years old and now has a security issue that cannot be fixed. Is anyone else having the same issue? I believe it's only relevant to Intel Core i9-9900K CPU 3.60GHz Coffee Lake-S processor.

15 Posts

September 18th, 2022 05:00

I have just had this reply from Dell via PM ...

Hi,

As mentioned earlier we have checked with our product engineering teams Coffee lake processors do not support the feature. We would suggest you to check again with the expert about Coffee Lake compatibility.

Regards

So can you help/advise if they are correct or is the information you provided correct as i am a tad confused

Regards

6 Professor

• 

6.4K Posts

September 18th, 2022 06:00

According to Microsoft it is supported under Windows 11: Microsoft 

Processor
  • Intel 11th generation Core processors and newer (8th generation or later starting with Windows 11, version 22H2)
  • AMD Zen 2 architecture and newer
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 8180 and newer

You have a 9th generation CPU so you are within the processor requirements.

Ask them why virtualization is not available on the R9, because you need that to enable this feature. I am pretty sure the inability to enable virtualization is the issue.

6 Professor

• 

6.4K Posts

September 18th, 2022 06:00

I am checking myself with the experts on why not. Will post here if I know more.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 18th, 2022 07:00

@Vanadiel wrote:

You have a 9th generation CPU so you are within the processor requirements.

Ask them why virtualization is not available on the R9, because you need that to enable this feature. I am pretty sure the inability to enable virtualization is the issue.

Agreed.

@Ian-M  , When you run msinfo32 ... the last 4 options about Hyper-V ... do they show Yes (Enabled) or not?

15 Posts

September 18th, 2022 08:00

Yes they are

Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualisation Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 21st, 2022 12:00

@Ian-M wrote:

Yes they are

Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualisation Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Good.

So this might be wrong, but what follows in my understanding.

If those four-options show Yes, then Windows thinks your hardware is capable (and dare I say even configured properly) to allow hardware-assisted VT. It can be used for Hyper-V and/or Virtualization Based Security.

If for some reason some BIOS options are missing from the Alienware Aurora-R9 BIOS, I think that might just mean that they are unchangable but forced-On or always Enabled .

15 Posts

September 22nd, 2022 00:00

Hi,

@Tesla1856  thanks for that but Dell keep insisting my Coffee Lake processor is not compatable with Memory integrity but will not explane in any detail why which is soooooo frustrating. have you any idea what the problem is ???

Here is a document describing the issue in detail - https://1drv.ms/w/s!AgRtM1OKjAaxiokbHBbxPWGv8TdfjQ?e=geqxTN 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 22nd, 2022 08:00

@Ian-M wrote:

Hi,

1. @Tesla1856  thanks for that but Dell keep insisting my Coffee Lake processor is not compatable with Memory integrity but will not explane in any detail why which is soooooo frustrating. have you any idea what the problem is ???

2. Here is a document describing the issue in detail - https://1drv.ms/w/s!AgRtM1OKjAaxiokbHBbxPWGv8TdfjQ?e=geqxTN 

1. No, not really ... I just have educated guesses as my newest Alienware desktop is an Aurora-R6. My new Intel-i9 (12th-Gen) system is an Origin custom-build.

In my case, since I need AW-CC on it, that disqualifies my Aurora-R6. I think their statement is based on that requirement or the fact that the VT options are hidden (but likely permanently Enabled ) in your Aurora-R9 BIOS. 

2. Nice. I just downloaded it. I'll try to examine it when I get a chance and get back to you. 

15 Posts

September 22nd, 2022 11:00

@Tesla1856 Thanks for your comments i suspect like you its a bios issue, just frustrating Dell keep dodging the question.

6 Professor

• 

6.4K Posts

September 22nd, 2022 15:00

Microsoft specifically required certain minimum hardware requirements in order to be able to install Windows 11.

This is one of the reasons for that. I highly doubt they would introduce a feature that is not supported on hardware that supports Windows 11. That would make no sense.

15 Posts

September 23rd, 2022 01:00

@Vanadiel My thoughts exactly, but all i get from Dell Technical support is my Coffee Lake processor is not compatible with Memory integrity but will not explain in any detail why.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

September 23rd, 2022 05:00

Our Alienware Command Center (AWCC) uses Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (IXTU) components for overclocking.

The September 19, 2022 IXTU 7.9.0.24 release notes stated =

DELLChrisM_0-1663936825051.jpeg

Until this is fixed by Intel, Microsoft, and Dell, use the workaround below =

* Open Windows Security--> Core Isolation--> Memory Integrity
* Set to Off
* Press Windows key
* Click Search
* Type turn windows features off
* Uncheck the following. When done restart the PC =
Hyper-V and all sub-components
Virtual Machine Platform
Windows Hypervisor Platform

15 Posts

September 23rd, 2022 07:00

@DELL-Chris M thanks for your reply but its not AWCC i want to work its the Memory integrity and 

I have been informed by Dell tech support that my Aurora R9 Intel Core i9-9900K CPU 3.60GHz Coffee Lake-S processor is not compatible with Windows 11 core isolation memory integrity. So I cannot turn on memory integrity on this PC and there is nothing Dell can do about it as it an Intel problem with this particular processor. 

but everything i look at online suggests my processor should be able to run Memory integrity but when i ask DELL for clarity all i get is a bland statement that my processor wont run it!!!

No Events found!