Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 29th, 2022 06:00

Can't change Windows Boot Manager Drive

I just installed a new m.2 Samsung Evo Plus into a PCIe slot.  I cloned it and now want to make it my primary boot drive but don't see an option.  I can select it and boot off it (picture 1) but when I try and change the boot order (picture 2) there isn't an option.  Does anybody know how I would do this?  If I boot off the new drive via the method in picture 1 it will revert back to the other drive when I restart.  Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/amv4w7n0owuw9dk/20220929_075026.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t16b5s1oh27eccp/20220929_075205.jpg?dl=0

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 29th, 2022 10:00

You can't have two identical disks running in a system (like after a clone-job). I believe that is a protection provided by SecureBoot .

If you must clone ... you clone and then shut-down and re-config disks so the new disk is in place of the old one. The old drive should be completely disconnected for now.

If it fails to boot (or other Windows Boot Manager problem) ... you boot the Macrium-Reflect Rescue flash-drive, run Macrium-Reflect, and use the top-menu-option to "Fix Boot". Shut-Down, remove Rescue flash-drive and system should now boot the new drive.

That is the proper procedure. Anything other than that is not supported. If you continue down this path, you are likely just digging yourself down into the hole deeper.

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

September 29th, 2022 06:00

Windows Boot Manager should be the new SSD but after cloning did you disconnect or remove the old drive before restarting the computer? You should do that before a restart and after confirming that the system boots off the new drive then reconnect then old drive. You did not specify whether the old drive was an M.2 SSD or an HDD. 

21 Posts

September 29th, 2022 07:00

Ha, we posted at the same time and it appears your "easiest" option answers the earlier question I had.  I think I answered your earlier question in my post as well.  

It is my understanding that the NVME in a PCIe slot with an M2 adapter is just as good as being in the M2 slot (speed wise).  So can I just leave the new drive in that slot as the boot drive, format the old drive and use it as a separate data drive?  Thanks so much!

21 Posts

I did not disconnect the old drive, I started the computer up with both drives connected and both possible as a Boot Drive.  The old drive was the OEM drive which was an NVME connected to the m.2 slot.  The new drive is an NVME connected to the PCIe slot via an adapter.

Since I'm currently booted up with the new drive as the boot drive through the manual process (I see the Windows icon and it is labeled C) can I just format the old drive?  I'd prefer not to have to try and open the computer again to disconnect the m.2 drive but will if I need to.

Thanks for the help!

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

Will need more info. Is this an M2 drive, or did you use an M2 adaptor in a PCIe slot?

The other problem is you have 2 Windows Boot managers. 1 from the original drive, and 1 from the new drive.

Typically the cloning software will detect this and modify the settings to ensure your new drive is the new boot drive.

You can use EasyUEFI, but be very careful and understand what you are doing before changing settings.

A third option would be to boot from the new drive using the one time boot menu and use windows disk manager to format the old drive. Easiest option if you have all the data on the new drive and don't need any of the data on that drive anymore.

21 Posts

September 29th, 2022 08:00

So I completely messed something up.  I did what we said and formatted the old Toshiba NVME drive but now the computer can't start up.  I get a recovery screen error no matter what I select.  A few pictures are below.  Please help

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ghclpgm0wcqqrq/20220929_102937.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9f029la5ao6azj2/20220929_103123.jpg?dl=0

4 Operator

• 

2.1K Posts

September 29th, 2022 09:00

Consider clearing CMOS by removing the CR2032 coin cell battery and discharging flea power.

21 Posts

I tried replacing the new drive into the m.2 slot but am still getting the same issue.  Not sure what got deleted with the format but something got completely messed up.  It is something about the startup because after I formatted the old drive the computer ran fine.  The issue only happened after I restarted.

21 Posts

I tried clearing the CMOS and discharging the flea power.  Didn't fix the problem.  I was getting orange blinking when I first started back up but changed the CR2032 to a new battery and now it starts back up but still get the error screen.  Somehow I've lost Windows Boot Manager. When I go to the Boot List it just says Onboard NIC (IPV4 and IPV6).  There is no longer a choice for Windows Boot Manager in the Boot Option List.  It is weird because it does say HDD1 - Windows Boot Manager (Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 1TB) in UEFI options when I hit F12 but it won't start up with that anymore.

21 Posts

September 29th, 2022 10:00

Yeah, I wish I knew that before I got started but I'm now already pretty deep in the rabbit hole.  I'm going to try and create a Macrium Reflect Rescue flash drive on another computer. 

If that doesn't work would I then need to reinstall Windows from a flash drive?  Would that even work?  I'm assuming I didn't brick my computer as you must be able to replace a failed hard drive.  Obviously I'd prefer not to have to reinstall Windows or I wouldn't have done the clone but in the end that isn't the worst case scenario for me.  Thanks.

21 Posts

September 29th, 2022 11:00

@Tesla1856 

That worked!  I created the Marcrium Rescue flash drive and it seemed to immediately fix the issue.  I now see Windows Boot Manager and it starts up perfectly.  In the troubleshooting process I removed the old hard drive and put the new one in the m.2 slot but I'm not changing anything for now.  I have Windows loading on the new drive with my old settings and that is all I care about.  Thanks so much!  I will mark your response as the solution and hopefully other people can learn the correct way for cloning a drive.  Thanks again!

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

September 29th, 2022 14:00

Secure boot is the most secure way of booting, since eventually you will not be able to boot anymore.

Glad you got it worked out.

1 Message

June 27th, 2023 04:00

Had a similar issue and this solution you provided worked out thanks 

No Events found!