Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 17th, 2018 11:00

Aurora-R7, questions, temperatures, fans

So I just received my very first Alienware yesterday!! Proud to be amoung the Alienware community. I did some searching about my temp concerns but wanted to make sure everything is good.

So during Bf1, my i7 8700 CPU reached around 70c. The max on one core reached 75c. For my GTX 1070, it reached around 80c. I monitored my Temps through HWMonitor. Are these Temps safe? My CPU is watercooled with the stock AIO from Alienware. The GTX 1070 is of course the FE edition so it's the blower type. I'm only being cautious because on my custom gaming rig from before, Temps never got that crazy. I was running an i5 3570k overclocked to 4.4 on a Noctua DH14 and my MSI GTX 1060 6G never got above 60c so with the Alienware its a bit warmer.

Along with that, I noticed that the Aurora R7 gets quite loud when gaming. I mean when all the fans kick on. Is that normal?

Lastly, I noticed the 450watt Psu fan doesn't always stay on. I'm use to my old PSU fan always running. I'm guessing this is normal from my research but just wanted to make sure.

Again thank you for everyone's time and input.

Here's the specific part number: AWAUR7-7999SLV-PUS

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 17th, 2018 14:00

@GenghisMarkuswrote:

@Tesla1856wrote:

@GenghisMarkuswrote:

Hello Tesla!

1. The power supple is the 460 watt if I am not mistaken. It came pre-built that way. I didn't modify anything.

2. So when you state that the temps are OK, it's not what it should be then I'm guessing?

3. My co-worker told me to reseat the CPU and watercooler (apply new thermal paste). Do you think that will do anything?

1. For just a little more, you can instead get the optional 850w PS.

2. No, I mean they are fine. Did you look closely at my linked OCCT pic? 

3. No, no need to do that. The Liquid-Cooler/MIO-Board/Command-Center all works together as a sub-system. It's designed to not really ramp-up until around 60c. It's designed to hold CPU temp around 70c-75c. All Aurora's have always worked like that (even my Aurora-R1 from 2010). 

1.  I got the Aurora R7 as a gift so I wasn't really able to customize it...

2. Sorry I missed the link haha! In that case, I am not going to reseat the CPU and cooler.

3. I did notice something yesterday though and I honestly think this is the cause of my high"ish" CPU temps. I understand the GPU going to 80c because of it being an FE (blower-type). Basically, I was monitoring all my temps through HWmonitor. I noticed that the i7 8700 was getting up to a max of 1.4v. From research throughout the whole day, it shouldn't need to go that high (especially being a non-k CPU). I was going to go home and fiddle with the bios tonight. Do you think that could be the cause?

4. The voltage being set too high from the factory?

5. I read on a forum to set it on offset at -0.05 which the core voltage should then be only 1.120v as opposed to 1.4v. That should shave off a good amount of heat. What do you think?

1. I wish someone would gift me an Aurora-R7  :Smile:

2. Yeah, checkout OCCT. I think you will like it. The PS-Test feature is a pretty awesome turn-and-burn. It has something like HW-Monitor built-in except you can even rename the fields.

3. No. And I thought I already explained the temps.

4. No

5. I think it's just the i7 CPU Turbo-Boosting itself. 

Enjoy your new computer.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 17th, 2018 12:00

So, you got the Aurora-R7, with:
- Intel i7-8700 and Liquid-Cooler
- GTX-1070

... but only a 460watt Power Supply? :Surprise:
Not sure why let people buy that config without throwing a config-error. The 850w PS would have been more suitable (run cooler and last longer).

Yeah, those temps are OK. A lot of the fan-noise is likely the Power-Supply, trying to keep itself cool (and not blow-up) since it's likely heavily stressed during gaming. Some of the other fans might be having to run faster also.

Check your Thermal-Controller in Command Center. I like to use Manual-Control, with reasonable Curves on all user controllable fans. I use the CPU Temp Sensor as the trigger.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General/Aurora-R6-Hard-Lockup-and-crash-while-gaming-SOLVED/td-p/5504111/page/3

April 17th, 2018 12:00

Hello Tesla!

Thank you very much for the prompt response. You are correct on what I have in my Aurora R7. The power supple is the 460 watt if I am not mistaken. It came pre-built that way. I didn't modify anything.

So when you state that the temps are OK, it's not what it should be then I'm guessing? My co-worker told me to reseat the CPU and watercooler (apply new thermal paste). Do you think that will do anything?

April 17th, 2018 13:00

@Tesla1856wrote:

@GenghisMarkuswrote:

Hello Tesla!

1. The power supple is the 460 watt if I am not mistaken. It came pre-built that way. I didn't modify anything.

2. So when you state that the temps are OK, it's not what it should be then I'm guessing?

3. My co-worker told me to reseat the CPU and watercooler (apply new thermal paste). Do you think that will do anything?

3. No, no need to do that. The Liquid-Cooler/MIO-Board/Command-Center all works together as a sub-system. It's designed to not really ramp-up until around 60c. It's designed to hold CPU temp around 70c-75c. All Aurora's have always worked like that (even my Aurora-R1 from 2010). 

Oh I completely understand. The only problem is I got the Aurora R7 as a gift so I wasn't really able to customize it... Sorry I missed the link haha! In that case, I am not going to reseat the CPU and cooler.

I did notice something yesterday though and I honestly think this is the cause of my high"ish" CPU temps. I understand the GPU going to 80c because of it being an FE (blower-type). Basically, I was monitoring all my temps through HWmonitor. I noticed that the i7 8700 was getting up to a max of 1.4v. From research throughout the whole day, it shouldn't need to go that high (especially being a non-k CPU). I was going to go home and fiddle with the bios tonight. Do you think that could be the cause? The voltage being set too high from the factory? I read on a forum to set it on offset at -0.05 which the core voltage should then be only 1.120v as opposed to 1.4v. That should shave off a good amount of heat. What do you think?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 17th, 2018 13:00

@GenghisMarkuswrote:

Hello Tesla!

68 Posts

April 18th, 2018 00:00

You don't need to watch the MAX CPU temp so much as average temp. An average temp of >70 C is quite hot for a watercooled machine, but a max temp for a split second of 80-95 C is common with CPUs. So what you need to look at is the current temp and average temp, not the min or max temps as that could be for a second or two.

As for the GPU, the Nvidias are programmed at the factory for an 84 C max, and with the low stock fan speeds Nvidia specified (usually 27-37% of max), it's common to hit 83-84 C when gaming or running 3DMark.

April 18th, 2018 04:00

Hello Clevor,
Thank you very much for the feedback. I'll have to monitor it today and see what it is on average. I'm going off of HWmonitor and noticed and the max is 70°c. I even downloaded RealTemp per a friend's instruction. I spoke with Alienware prior to posting here and they told me everything is normal. After also posting here and being informed that it's fine, I kinda decided to give up on trying to get it any lower haha. The only thing I noticed is that the voltage on the i7 8700 gets up to 1.41 when gaming but unfortunately you can't adjust voltages on an Alienware bios.

As for the video card, hitting 80° seems quite normal on the FE model.

4 Posts

September 6th, 2018 00:00

PSU'

4 Posts

September 6th, 2018 00:00

Hi,

How is your computer running with the 460w pay and the GTX 1070? Is it running well?

No Events found!