Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

BM

February 11th, 2018 07:00

New R7 with 8700K can no longer be overclocked

The OC button on the Command Center no longer appears on my new R7.  When I click the OC app, I get the error message that it can't be launched.   I called tech support, and they reinstalled Command Center, but the OC button no longer appears.  They called back the next day to install the OC app, but it was already installed.  They said they would call back the following day, but they never called.  This computer is only two months old, and I now seem to have lost the ability to overclock my 8700K.  Very disappointed.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 12th, 2018 21:00

I've never used OC from Command-Center. I think that is a separate software plug-in.

Anyway, you should be able to OC from BIOS. It works for me.

But I don't OC. My Intel i7-7700k is fast enough and I want it to last forever. :Smile:

So, stock-clocks on your nice Intel i7-8700k (with all cores at 90-100% utilization) isn't fast enough for you?

74 Posts

February 18th, 2018 18:00

My o/c app stopped working seemingly after a win10 update.  But downloading the latest from the site restored it.

Or you can download Intel Extreme Tuning Utility.  Its equivalent settings to the Alienware O/C pages seem to be:

O/C 1:   X46;  vcore=1.075; avx=3; memory=XMP disabled

O/C 2:   X48;  vcore=1.112; avx=3; memory=XMP1

XTU (and other apps) allows me to set up my selected re-lidded cpu past 5 GHz.  Has some minor bugs, tho.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 18th, 2018 20:00

And for the RAM, it seemed that the Dell OEM Kingston Fury had the proper SPD burned in for XMP to hit Dell's OC1 and OC2 (from the Aurora-R6 BIOS anyway).

I assumed others with after-market DIMMs would have different XMP preset, so they might have to do the ram OC manually.

74 Posts

February 20th, 2018 03:00

Forgot to mention; if you install XTU, uninstall Alienware O/C controls, or they will chase each other.  And I decided what I thought were bugs in XTU were probably just me; it seems to work fine lately.

1 Message

December 27th, 2022 13:00

I know I am grave digging here.....

@hrgreen this is not working as you explained.  If you load the Intel utility you get a message dead center on the screen that says overclocking has been disabled.  If you try and enable in the BIOS its greyed out. My Alienware Command Center update doesn't include any option for OC, just a bunch of gimmicks for changing light colors on the case or creating custom game profiles. Others have mentioned hitting F9 to reload defaults in the BIOS (which makes ZERO sense) and alas that does nothing either.

The short story is this is disabled in the BIOS and it needs to be reenabled for any software running in the OS to use the OC feature.

Anyone else have any suggestions here for getting this turned on in the BIOS? 

No Events found!