Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

7 Posts

December 8th, 2018 03:00

Question about PUMP_FAN,CPU__FAN and TOP_FAN

Hi,

I just installed Corsair H55 for my Aurora R7 instead stock air cooler,also change the H55 stock fan to Corsair ML120Pro PWM.The problem is bios error if I plug pump cable in Pump_Fan and ML120 in CPU_Fan.So what connector (pump_fan,top_fan,cpu_fan) should I plug pump cable and radiator fan cable in for best effect ?

175 Posts

December 8th, 2018 07:00

yeah, I've just haven through the same albeit with a Corsair H60 and had the same error.

The pump is plugged in to PUMP_FAN.

The radiator fan - I am using the original top fan after removing it from the metal cage using a small screwdriver to push out the rubber rivets - as it is way more powerful than the Corsair - is connected to TOP_FAN.

When I had it connected to CPU_FAN - seemed logical - the computer would freeze with a white screen displaying "Testing CPU Fan in progress").

It is early days but I had the prime95 stress test running for maybe 20 mins and it does appear that the above connections work .

…. actually thinking about it, the radiator fan is the top fan so it kind of makes sense.

7 Posts

December 8th, 2018 10:00

@mp_108 wrote:

yeah, I've just haven through the same albeit with a Corsair H60 and had the same error.

The pump is plugged in to PUMP_FAN.

The radiator fan - I am using the original top fan after removing it from the metal cage using a small screwdriver to push out the rubber rivets - as it is way more powerful than the Corsair - is connected to TOP_FAN.

When I had it connected to CPU_FAN - seemed logical - the computer would freeze with a white screen displaying "Testing CPU Fan in progress").

It is early days but I had the prime95 stress test running for maybe 20 mins and it does appear that the above connections work .

…. actually thinking about it, the radiator fan is the top fan so it kind of makes sense.

Hi,the r7 stock top and front fan is so nóiy,I think you should change them to other silent fans that same performance.So currently you plug pump cable in pump_fan and radiator fan in top_fan, right ?

7 Posts

December 8th, 2018 10:00

Hi,the r7 stock top and front fan is so nóiy,I think you should change them to other silent fans that same performance.So currently you plug pump cable in pump_fan and radiator fan in top_fan, right ?

175 Posts

December 8th, 2018 13:00

So currently you plug pump cable in pump_fan and radiator fan in top_fan, right ?

Yes, exactly like that.

re. original fan being noisy, yes, maybe when they run at full speed but even when I ran stress test and got CPU temperature to 68 C, the fan was barely a whisper.  I will do more tests but it seems to be more powerful than needed so I may fit the Corsair fan that came in the kit; not knowing what to expect, I wanted to have reserve cooling capacity than not enough.  The centre of the Corsair fan is slightly smaller hence a large area is swept by the blades.

When I connected both to a 12 V PSU, the original fan pushed noticeably more air than the Corsair one.

No Events found!