Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 8th, 2019 21:00

What's the benefit of Alienware AW2518H 25" gaming monitor?

Hello everyone,

I bought an Alienware R8 and AW2518H 25" monitor for my children to play games.  The reason I bought this expensive monitor (my monitors are all half of that price) is I thought it would be better for gaming -- as I read that higher the refresh rate the better for games.

I've watched my kids playing games on it -- but honestly, I don't see anything better than my almost 10 years old 20", 23" 60Hz monitors.  Actually, for text, the old monitors are better and I hardly see any pixels on them, but on this Alienware 25", I could see pixels/lines.

I read that this type of monitor shines for FPS type games -- what kind of games will it really show its true value?  So far, I am not impressed at all.

May be I need to tune something?  Or any suggestion on games that will take advantages of this type of monitor?

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 10th, 2019 04:00

Fallout 3, Fallout 4, Defiance, World of warcraft is not on steam.

Epic pulled Metro Exodus from steam so they have their own installer now.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/224600/Defiance/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/22370/Fallout_3_Game_of_the_Year_Edition/

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 9th, 2019 09:00

Higher refresh rate does not make for faster GPU FPS.

You need a GPU to play games and the AW2518H requires a very expensive GPU to run it properly.

Native Resolution  1920 x 1080
Brightness 400 nits
GSYNC requires NVIDIA CARD

This means  GTX 1060 6 gig card or RX580 8 gig card
both are over $200 - $300 and require an EVGA 700B1 power supply.
1060 should be enough for 60+ fps on most games at 1080p and that would invalidate the need for the g-sync. Even single 1080 can't handle 60fps+ on 4k

Unless you have a standard TOWER you won't be able to do either

Alienware Aurora R8 Intel 8-Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz/2TB 7200RPM + 1TB SSD - 64GB DDR4 SDRAM - Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 TI 11GB GDDR6 Graphics - 850W - Windows 10 Gaming Desktop is not likely what you got.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 9th, 2019 09:00

The G-SYNC tech is what makes it  expensive. If you have a Nvidia video card, you can enable that  feature. 

While TN Panels can reach higher frequencies, for all around use (including education and productivity) , most people (including myself) prefer a matte IPS Panel (like on the Dell UltraSharp series).

Yes, they game just fine ... at 1440p I see no “tearing” in 3D games. FPS is good and playable.

But main attraction of IPS is better image, viewing angles, and better color.

11 Posts

July 9th, 2019 20:00

Would anyone please suggest a game (from steam) that would show the difference for this monitor? 

I just hope I didn't wasted my money on this monitor.  I could have gotten bigger size monitor for the same price but since this is for gaming and some 3D work (my early teen kids are also using blender), I thought investing on good gaming monitor was a good decision. 

Kids have notebooks for productivity software -- so this machine is mainly for gaming (and some 3d work).  Please suggest a good game, so I don't feel like I wasted my money. :-)

Thanks.

11 Posts

July 9th, 2019 20:00

Thanks for the comments.

The Alienware R8 machine I got for my son is i5 CPU + 16GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660Ti with 6GB GDDR6, with 850 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply.

I think I got the right H/W for good gaming -- and G-sync is enabled.

You're right, on my workstation (about 6 yo, Dell T-series with Xeon+64GB ECC RAM), I have Dell UltraSharp and really old HP monitor -- text on them look a lot better.  (I do programming on this workstation so mostly just text.)  I ran a few steam games on this workstation too, to compare how better this Alienware monitor is -- but so far, those games I tested --  I failed to see much difference. 

My workstation is old with old graphics cards (3 cards for CUDA; two quadro series and a tesla) -- so definitely 1660Ti is newer and faster. 

When a lot of objects are on the screen, Alienware computer is better, but screen quality?  Not so sure.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 9th, 2019 22:00

As I said, that price for a 25 incher is because of G-SYNC and Alienware LED lights. 

We were playing a lot of Fallout-4 a while back ... real smooth on my Aurora-R6 and Nvidia GTX-1070. So, newer than that I guess ... hot and heavy and effects turned-up Ultra elite :Star:

If this machine is to be used for 3D and Blender ... doesn’t this increase the requirements and over-rides the use-case away from just playing games ? If so, I think you could have done better.

11 Posts

July 10th, 2019 10:00

Thanks for the list of the games.  I will get one and try. 

11 Posts

July 10th, 2019 10:00

I understand why it’s expensive. Just don’t see the benefits of it. 

As I said, it’s mainly for gaming but some 3d(blender) work.  Since it’s not complex 3d, this is fine. 

No Events found!