Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

August 20th, 2018 13:00

Whine/Squeak When Gaming or Watching Videos -- Normal?

Hello all!

First off, thank you in advance for your time. =)

I recently purchased an Alienware Aurora R7, specs as follows:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 8700K (6-Core/12-Thread, 12MB Cache, up to 4.7GHz with Intel(R) Turbo Boost Technology)
OC Controls
Windows 10 Home 64bit English
850W EPA Bronze PSU Liquid Cooled Chassis
NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X
16GB Single Channel HyperX(TM) DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz
512GB M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive
2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)
Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.2
Killer Wireless 1535 Driver

For the first several days, I couldn't have been more happy with my rig. However, it suddenly started getting very noisy whenever I would game, or even simply when watching YouTube videos at times. I contacted support and they said this is normal, but personally, I find it very annoying and have never experienced this with any of my previous rigs.

Another strange thing I noticed is that the noise seems to be transmitted through whatever headset I have in. So I hear it from the desktop itself even with no headphones plugged in, but I also hear it through the headset itself when it's plugged in. This makes it especially annoying because it interferes with whatever I'm listening to through my headset.

I was hoping I could get some input on whether to push further with support or to simply accept the noise as normal. I am within my 30 day return period at the moment.

Thanks again!

Best,
Shailo

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 20th, 2018 13:00

Nice config

There are lots of fans and other moving parts inside a newer-model Aurora.

I suggest you remove side-cover (while turned off) and then power-up and use it. See if you can determine which part is making the noise. 

However, sounds like you are talking about audio-interference instead. That is common with any newer computer (because of today's high frequencies) when using the 1/8inch analog audio jacks.

So, which is it ... audio-interference (over speakers) or instead, a mechanical noise?

6 Posts

August 20th, 2018 18:00

Hi Tesla! Thanks for the reply. =)

I removed the side cover and rotated the PSU cage out. As far as I can tell, the noise is coming from the PSU.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 20th, 2018 19:00

@Shailo wrote:

1. I removed the side cover and rotated the PSU cage out.

2. As far as I can tell, the noise is coming from the PSU.

1. Good work

2. Yeah, I had that problem with my Aurora-R6 when it was new.

Tell Dell you want the trashy bad-fan-bearing-ed HuntKey 850w Power-Supply swapped with the better Delta-made 850w Power-Supply (Aurora-R6 DPN is N1WJD ) It's been fine since ( 1 year now).

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General/Alienware-Aurora-R6-clicking-noise/td-p/5519394

and

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General/Aurora-R6-Hard-Lockup-and-crash-while-gaming-SOLVED/m-p/5504136/highlight/true#M6112

Maybe Dell got ahold of some old-stock. While once common, I haven't read anyone reporting it in about 6 months. Or, maybe they just never told HuntKey to get their act together. In that long thread, I posted pics on how to identify them from each other (from the outside).

6 Posts

August 21st, 2018 20:00

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate your help. I've contacted a mod and am hoping they'll guide me through the next steps. If not I'll reach out to support directly. =)

I'll post an update about how things turn out in case anyone else has a similar problem in the future.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 22nd, 2018 06:00

That kind of noise is likely from the power supply.

What is the part number/ maker of the PSU?

Delta or Huntkey?

No Events found!