Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

5 Posts

April 1st, 2019 08:00

X51 R2, problem rebooting while playing Final Fantasy XIV

I've been fighting these crashes for a couple years now with Final Fantasy XIV. It started before the Stormblood expansion came out. When changing zones or sometimes during cutscenes that might feature zone transitions within them, my PC will drop into a full reboot with no error screens. It is all very random it seems. I could have multiple crashes in a day, or not see any at all for a month. It can happen as early as during logging into the game, or not happen until hours later. It can happen whether the game is the only major program open at the time or if I have other things open as well. The event log offers no clues on the culprit, just giving the generic 'unexpected shutdown' type line. This is the only game it has come up with. I'm able to play other games such as Overwatch without issues.

Things I have tried in the past that didn't solve this:
- Updating video card drivers
- Lowering graphic settings in the game
- Doing a full uninstall/reinstall of the game
- Running the game on DX9 instead of DX11

I've tried watching my system temps, but nothing ever seemed out of the ordinary or sudden spikes that I can tell before it reboots. I don't have a large budget currently, so I'm unable to buy a bunch of parts to test and swap around, so anything that can better pinpoint the source here will help me out greatly.

Thank you in advance for all your time and help.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 1st, 2019 09:00

@Endzo wrote:

1. just giving the generic 'unexpected shutdown' type line.

2. This is the only game it has come up with. I'm able to play other games such as Overwatch without issues.

3. I've tried watching my system temps, but nothing ever seemed out of the ordinary

1. Points to hardware

2. Points to software (FF-14)

3. You don't mention what video-card or specs ... not even version of Windows.

All the x51 systems have a "laptop like" power-supply system. Kinda lame for a desktop and they tend to get over-amp-ed and run-out of power at the worst time.

5 Posts

April 1st, 2019 10:00

I apologize for the lack of clarity.

CPU: 4th Generation Intel Core i5-4460 processor
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
Power: Alienware 330 Watt Power Supply
Windows 10 Pro

Game: Final Fantasy XIV (I didn't realize that the title cut off the end)

372 Posts

April 3rd, 2019 10:00

This happened to me twice in the past. I had a bad sector on my hard drive. When a game accessed it the system rebooted or crashed. Can you do a deep hard drive sector check

5 Posts

May 21st, 2019 13:00

I ran a handful of scans, not sure if any were the one you've mentioned, but no errors have shown for the hard drive.

No Events found!