Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A8

April 9th, 2018 02:00

Aurora R3, upgrading, water cooling cable

hi!

I replace motherboard (46MHW) of my aurora r3 by asus gene viii

great! but for original water cooling system (01YGW) connectors ?

01YGW connectors 7 PIN

motherboard asus gene viii connectors water pump= 4 PIN

I seek cable adapter

can you help me?

please

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 9th, 2018 04:00

DELL does not support "ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE motherboard"

Pinouts to any connectors on a Dell board are not forthcoming.

11 Posts

April 9th, 2018 08:00

foolery!!!

asus gene viii i7 7700k !it works wonderfully with alien fx,commander and thermal control ,watercooling under windows 10!

what do you think?my aurora r3 price: 3500USD year :2010 

in the garbage??? because DELL have not updated BIOS for windows 10 / directx 12!

seriously!:TongueTied:

someone, who does not work for DELL interests, can help me?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 9th, 2018 09:00

Nonsense "BIOS for windows 10 / directx 12":Geeked:

Move along.  These are not the droids you are looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=532j-186xEQ

Windows 10 works with Regular Bios on a 2006 Optiplex GX620 with Pentium D 915 CPU.  Directx 12 is applicable to a newer Video Card installed such as Geforce GTX 1030. No bios updates are required to get Any feature of windows 10 working with the exception of TPM and Secure Boot.  Neither of those is REQUIRED in order to run Windows 10 and Directx 12.  There is no help or support from Dell for 3rd party motherboards and Pinouts of any kind for any reason ever.

Hardware Requirements for 64 bit windows 10 are as follows.

4 Gigs Ram when used with Integrated Graphics.

Support for LAHF/SAHF,  NX,  CMPXCHG 128,

DirectX 9 or better GPU with 128 megs minimum Ram

80 Gig Hard Drive or larger up to 2TB,  Larger Requires UEFI GPT which can be had via Host Bus Adapter AKA Rocket 620 OEM SATA 3 card.

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/PDF/RR600/HighPoint%20Product%20Support%20and%20Warranty%20Announcement%20for%20Rocket%20620-OEM%20SATA%20Host%20Bus%20Adapter.pdf

2004 or later Bios that supports 48 bit LBA.  2006 or later CPU Pentium D 900 series up to 960.

11 Posts

April 9th, 2018 10:00

you do not understand anything!!!:Angry:
aurora r3 bios A06 does not work properly with windows 10!
restart problem!once in three! FREEZE!
and impossible installation of update Fall Creators Update !!! FREEZE FREEZE FREEZE!
problem known to all alienware experts (except you)
origin of the problem:
BIOS A06 not "optimize" for windows 10!!!!!!!!!!!!
works perfectly for windows 7 windows 8
BUT windows 10 has DIRECTX 12 and the latest games have better performance with!!!

you do not understand anything!!!
if DELL had done his job of updating a little BIOS! alienware will have had a future!!!
pay so dear for such a lack of scalability!
because of a file so ridiculous that BIOS!!!
shame on you!!!
may you need training? you do not know anything !!!
my configuration?
asus gene viii
i7 7700k
32go ddr4 3600!
gtx 1080
all is working properly!!!with windows 10 64b
alien commander ,thermal control,alien fx ,watercooling,tactx mouse and keyboard!!!
no temperature problem
no fan problem
no problem with Master I O Mio Control Board
!!!!!!!!Stop saying nonsense!!!!!!!!
many things are possible!
learn!!!:Crying:

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 9th, 2018 11:00

There is no such thing as "BIOS "optimize" for windows 10"

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications

The R3 is Early 2011 system with Class 1 legacy MBR BIOS.  Most 7 year or older systems are not supported with 8 or 10.  That doesn't mean they won't work it just means they are not supported.

Dell has not updated any such system to UEFI.

Dell is not going to support your 3rd party motherboard nor are they obligated to do so.

I do understand that the hardware is not supported with any os other than what it came with.

There are issues with Killer Network cards but other than that I disagree.

Current windows 10 1709 has a rollup issue but that can be resolved by manually installing the rollup offline.

None of these facts changes that dell would support a 3rd party motherboard OR provide pinouts.  They don't do this and they won't.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 9th, 2018 12:00

@alf.813wrote:

:**bleep**:

hi!

I replace motherboard (46MHW) of my aurora r3 by asus gene viii

great! but for original watercooling systeme (01YGW) connectors ?

01YGW=connectors 7 PIN

motherboard asus gene viii connectors water pump=4 PIN

I seek cable adapter

can you help me?

please:BigSmile:

Have you searched in here for Asetek cooler or after-market motherboard replacement tips? It's all there.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General/bd-p/Alienware-General

Your hurdles are not only wiring, but does Command Center even run on your after-market motherboard (or does it just complain it's not an Alienware motherboard) ?

Since that old Aurora-R3 cooler likely has some hours on it, I would be tempted to just install a new Corsair/Asetek into it.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 9th, 2018 12:00

@alf.813wrote:

you do not understand anything!!!:Angry:
aurora r3 bios A06 does not work properly with windows 10!
restart problem!once in three! FREEZE!
and impossible installation of update Fall Creators Update !!! FREEZE FREEZE FREEZE!
problem known to all alienware experts (except you)

Yeah, I've read all the Aurora-R3 threads over the years ... but now that I've done it ... I think I've come to the conclusion that they are mostly inaccurate or out-dated.  I also think most users issues were resolved, but they never came back to post it's working fine now.

I've got Windows-10 Pro 64bit working fine on a Vostro-460/XPS-8300 ... which is a very-very similar Dell motherboard (Intel SandyBridge/Cougar-Point ... all that).

https://www.dell.com/community/Vostro/Vostro-460-XPS-8300-Upgrade-Adventures/m-p/6054983#M1213

I also have it working on an Aurora-R1:

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General/Alienware-Aurora-R1-Windows-10-Pro-Upgrade-Smooth-sailing-so-far/td-p/5512004

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

April 9th, 2018 22:00

The 01YGW cooler 7pin plugs into the top power strip board, the radiator fan also plugs into the top power strip board in the Sys_Fan header. The MIO board has a CPU Fan cable / connector that plugs into the motherboard CPU_Fan header, when swapping a motherboard in you plug that into your CPU_Fan header the same as happened with the original mthrbrd ... from there the CmndCntr & MIO board controls / monitors CPU temp, radiator fan speed & cooler motor status. You can try to get manual / granular control of the radiator fan speed through your Bios or other AI Suite fan control software related to CPU Fan. I do not see a need for an adapter. If you need to buy a fan cable extension for the MIO FAN CABLE, buy a pre-made 4pin male female extension (https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=4PIN+FAN+EXTENSION&LH_PrefLoc=1&_sop=15)

01YGW already gets power, already is monitored by CmndCntr, there is no need to plug it into the new motherboard nor use an adapter like below (I make these, but you save $12 by not using one at all, it isn't needed in my opinion, the pump already gets power and is already monitored for running / failed status while the radiator fan that hooks up through MIO Fan Cable is as you said already working too)

You CAN plug the radiator fan into new mthrbrd CPU Fan header > if needed, buy an extension cable so it can reach > if you do not like the original 38mm fan replace it with a 25mm Noctua or similar, or try push-pull fans using a y-split fan cable running off of the top power strip or off of the mthrbrd CPU Fan header

(https://s14.postimg.org/jbma29vqp/image.jpg)

(https://s14.postimg.org/k152enjfl/Aurora_Maximus_VIII_Gene.jpg)

(https://s14.postimg.org/l4p6q7ytd/untitled.png)

11 Posts

April 9th, 2018 23:00

:Smile:

Thanks a lot for your answers
sorry for my language a bit unsuitable I do not speak your language

Cass-Ole,it's up to you that I wanted to talk from the beginning!
all the fans are already driven by AI Suite
except water pump which is still driven by CmndCntr & MIO board controls
because of 7 pin,my asus gene water pump=4 pin

I do not trust CmndCntr anymore!it works well!but it is outdated!
in the past I had occasional problems with CmndCntr!
poorly updated temperature values in real time!
CmndCntr lived a good life but today we can better monitor his computer!
CmndCntr only for alienware lights (and again if he could have other solution)
AI Suite is good and do his job very well!
I will be even more reassured if I could use waterpump via AI Suite.
you made this cable!? it's difficult ? can we find it for sale?

I know that it does not really matter at my request
everything works fine on my computer but if you could help me I would appreciate
thank

11 Posts

Alienware PIN Water Pump.pngit's correct?:Stickouttongue:

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@Cass-Olewrote

The 01YGW cooler 7pin plugs into the top power strip board, the radiator fan also plugs into the top power strip board in the Sys_Fan header. The MIO board has a CPU Fan cable / connector that plugs into the motherboard CPU_Fan header, when swapping a motherboard in you plug that into your CPU_Fan header the same as happened with the original mthrbrd

I do not see a need for an adapter.

Oh right ... if he kept the Aurora-R3 case, he should still have the top-power-strip-board installed.

After a closer read of his post, it is encouraging that Command Center is already happily running (not complaining about non-Alienware motherboard).

Since 01YGW is the best (Premium) Asetek cooler, so if it was working before swap, I guess he should try to keep it and save the $100. I just wasn't sure about the mounting (back-plate and what-not).

Thanks for the help @Cass-Ole .

11 Posts

April 10th, 2018 01:00

thank
my asus gene viii has connectors:
CPU OPT(4 pin)
CPU FAN (4 pin) (currently used by the radiator fan with AI Suite)
WATER PUMP (4 pin)

1 Message

May 28th, 2018 07:00

Cass-Ole can you PM me regarding - would like to have one

20953_untitled.png

1 Message

July 23rd, 2020 18:00

Hello Guys. 

I do have the exact same adapter in my alienware watercooler. But the system Im using now is a Gigabyte and it has only a 4 pin cpu fan header.

I would like to know if the 7 pin water pump would work if i plug it directly into the 4 pin cpu fan header or does  it necessit an adapter in order to work.

and the radiator fan in the SYS fan header aswell. and what can i do to monitor the speed and power delivered to the pump and radiator68747470733a2f2f692e706f7374696d672e63632f54595834703471782f3770696e5f636f6c6f722e6a7067.jfifon my MOBO

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

July 23rd, 2020 22:00

I assume you mean you have an Aurora R1-R4 case, you installed a micro-ATX mthrbrd into it with some type of Intel CPU, you're re-using the original AlienCooler & have acquired the correct socket retention ring ...

Generally, the AlienCooler 7pin power connector will connect into the Aurora Top Light Strip's 7pin power header & the Radiator Cooling Fan plugs into the Top Light Strip's Sys_Fan header, which is to say all is as it should be

PTDC0011A.JPG

It's my experience that - so long as room exists for the width of that 7pin - yes it can plug directly onto a 4pin CPU_Fan header; as seen in the prior photo of the 7pin, note it has a top latch & see photo above

Above, a black 5pin has a top latch to it also, & the 4pin fan header has a sort of white 'mounting / placement tab', such that when you plug the 5pin or 7pin into a fan header, the top latch should make contact with that back fan header tab, which keeps it 'cinched' on

In photo above there's also a basic 3pin fan attached to a 4pin fan header, showing the basic fan wire-color pinout left-to-right of Ground 12V TACH or Blk Red Wht ... such that when you place the AlienCooler 5pin or 7pin onto a fan header (top latch contacts the back tab) then Cooler Pins 1/2/3 make contact, slot 4 is empty & slots 5 (6&7 for Aurora) touch nothing but air

If your 7pin has room to be placed atop a 4pin fan header, then connect it as in the photo above & it'll work

If your mthrbrd has a dual CPU_Fan & CPU Optional Fan header, then yes you could run the Radiator Fan on your mthrbrd's CPU or CPU Optional fan headers

If all you have is a CPU_Fan header & want to run the RadFan on it, then perhaps try that & then try the AlienCooler powered through one of the mthrbrd Chassis_Fan headers instead

Monitoring should occur through mthrbrd Bios & any bundled mthrbrd software monitoring suite they gave it, if any. SpeedFan or HWMonitor might be software that could register fan/pump RPMs

No Events found!