Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 29th, 2017 04:00

1600 XMP Memory and Aurora R1

New question for my old machine. The book says only 3GB-12GB of 1600 XMP memory can be used and they have to be in slots 1, 3 and 5. So can you use just 2 4GB sticks in 1 and 3 or do you have to have memory in all 3 slots? Are you able to use  8GB 1600 XMP sticks, is the processor capable then of using 24GB of 1600 XMP? Can the X58 support faster memory I found some old reviews of the x58 control set for the i7 965 extreme using faster memory but is the Aurora R1 board capable of using it?

I'm running a Nvidia GtX570 (2GB), 6GB of 1333MHz memory and running windows 7 with the standard 500GB harddrive. I'm upgrading to an SSD. I just gotten into doing 3d CAD work for my 3d printer and I'm trying to make this system last a bit longer and work a bit better on the engineering models. I'm in the process of replacing the mobo due to the Ethernet port and the SD card ports no longer working. I do do some gaming such as Civilization, LOTHRO, Diablo, Steel Division and most of the Fallout Series. Running Windows performance everything is in the high 7's but the disk drive r/w/s test which brings overall performance down to 5.6. I haven't overclocked the system and at it's age I don't think I'm going to mess with that and I don't think I would increase the performance that much.

Thanks for your time

Randy

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 30th, 2017 12:00

The book says only 3GB-12GB of 1600 XMP memory can be used and they have to be in slots 1, 3 and 5. So can you use just 2 4GB sticks in 1 and 3 or do you have to have memory in all 3 slots?

Are you able to use  8GB 1600 XMP sticks, is the processor capable then of using 24GB of 1600 XMP?

Not only did you answer your own first question, your other thread answers both questions. The answers are no, and no.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 30th, 2017 12:00

1. I'm running a Nvidia GtX570 (2GB), 6GB of 1333MHz memory and running windows 7 with the standard 500GB harddrive. I'm upgrading to an SSD. I just gotten into doing 3d CAD work for my 3d printer and I'm trying to make this system last a bit longer and work a bit better on the engineering models. I'm in the process of replacing the mobo due to the Ethernet port and the SD card ports no longer working. I do do some gaming such as Civilization, LOTHRO, Diablo, Steel Division and most of the Fallout Series. Running Windows performance everything is in the high 7's but the disk drive r/w/s test which brings overall performance down to 5.6.

2. I haven't overclocked the system and at it's age I don't think I'm going to mess with that and I don't think I would increase the performance that much.

1. As I said in one of your other threads, a SSD will be nice upgrade.

Even at SATA2-300 speed (all the Aurora-R1 and Intel-x58 supports) double the transfer speed (of spinning drive) and high IOPS make it a worthy upgrade.

A SSD will not only allow the machine to boot faster, but Windows, programs, and games will load noticeably faster and the machine will run overall "snappier" and with less effort.

2. I agree. I would not Over-Clock machine at this point. Since the machine (mainly the motherboard and that nice CPU you have) has managed to live this long ... I would not put unnecessary stress on it by OC-ing it. OC-ing is low real-world gains and high risk of killing or degrading something.

This machine should work fine for this use-case. I bet your Nvidia GTX-570 will run Fallout-4 on Medium fine. My old AMD-5870 didn't really, so as one last upgrade to my Aurora-R1, I installed a MSI GTX-1070. Now, I can run Fallout-4 with Ultra-Max settings (and steady 60 FPS or better at 1200p) even in heavy action and complicated scenes.

https://community.dell.com/message/128494-re-alienware-aurora-r1-windows-10-pro-upgrade-smooth-sailing-so-far

and

https://community.dell.com/thread/20539

No Events found!