Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 5th, 2016 21:00

17 R4

I recently bought an Alienware 17R4. I'm not a gamer, but I do a lot of heavy duty image processing. 12,000 RAW images running through Lightroom. I needed all the horsepower that I could get. 

Anyway, my question is this: Is there a place other than the Power Options in the Control panel where the screen turn off time is set?

For example, in Power Options I have it set for the screen to turn off when plugged in after an hour. However, the screen turns off after a few minutes. It's not a big huge deal, but annoying. I walk away from the computer for a few minutes, then have to wake it up again. 

Any suggestions?

Joe

December 13th, 2016 20:00

I think that I solved it. A friend told me to adjust my plan setting from the high performance section and not the balanced section. Not sure why it is different but it seems to stay on now.

314 Posts

December 6th, 2016 07:00

click on CHANGE ADVANCED POWER SETTINGS. Look around, there are tons of settings

35 Posts

December 7th, 2016 00:00

Huh not sure, but when you say wake it up do you mean the system hibernates?

Typically if I want to adjust power/ display properties I right click the systray icon of a plug.

Otherwise CP is all that I know.  You may want to ensure your HDDs setting coencide with your screen.  Good luck

December 8th, 2016 20:00

I *think* it's hibernate. I'll give you an example. Let's say I'm streaming Pandora. I stepped away for a few minutes to feed the dogs. It suddenly just stopped! I had to press the power button, let it scan my irises before it would start playing again.

In Display properties I have it set to go to sleep after 3 hours, and in Advanced Properties I have it set ot never hibernate.

Joe

35 Posts

December 12th, 2016 01:00

Huh that's no good. Right click desktop, check under screen saver/ lock properties.  The power button is what is throwing me as that means hibernation, not just screen shut off.

35 Posts

December 12th, 2016 01:00

I'll keep thinking on it. . .

No Events found!