Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 1st, 2017 05:00

17R4 i7-7700HQ seems sluggish

Hi everyone

Recently I received a replacement unit from AW after having issues with my initial unit I bought. I got an upgraded processor in the new unit I received, its the i7-7700HQ(Kaby Lake). After having the laptop for a few days I decided to factory image reset it. Upon start up of the factory image reset and using Windows I noticed it seemed a lot slower. I dont understand whats going on, every application I open takes longer to open than when I first got the laptop. I've ran HWinfo64 to monitor the CPU performance but it seems normal. I have disabled un necessary startup programs as well thinking maybe that would change it, but it hasn't. I have also enabled high performance mode in the Power options but it is still the same.

Really don't know whats going on - and yes, all of the drivers are up to date so that isn't the issue either. I was surprised too, to find out that after the booting into Windows after the factory reset, my D drive was not formatted(is it only the C drive that is formatted then gets a fresh install?) There are no programs interfering with anything, I keep a keen eye on that.

Also, this may be an issue with the Killer 1535 Wireless card but my access point seems to drop. Ive updated the driver too and its much better but still happens from time to time. Loading web pages also takes quite some time - which was never the case on my laptop I just sent back to Dell because I got this replacement unit. Anyone have experiences with this? And it is not an issue with my router/speed of the WiFi channel because it was fine on my other laptop

Thanks for your help everyone

-xxsadistic

April 1st, 2017 07:00

open the task manager and pic Performance tab. do you see some high CPU / RAM / HDD usage? if so, click on the Processes tab and find the Process causing the high usage. I expect it to be some sort of anti-virus software.

Edit:

removed some stuff

April 1st, 2017 07:00

Nothing out of the ordinary bud, CPU is under 4% load @ 3.56Ghz and memory is 19% used. Both HDDs are 1% at idle - I do have AVG antivirus which I purchased a few months back, is that a bad antivirus for gaming cause it seems ok

April 1st, 2017 08:00

I don't know alot about AVG. I have Avira. Try to disable it just for testing.

did you check Windows Event Viewer for Errors?

my Asus Z170i PG Mainboard had an issue with the Intel Management Engine App. i found a bunch of errors in the Event Viewer. stuff like that can cause slowdowns.

April 1st, 2017 09:00

hmm...Ive never heard of Avira. I actually did just disable AVG though. All of a sudden my CPU had a 26% usage and it was from AVG, never seen that before(it wasnt scanning either). What are some good Anti Virus that doesnt use a lot of resources and is great for gaming?

April 1st, 2017 10:00

for gaming i'd just use Windows Defender. if you don't click on every single link on the Internet without thinking then Windows Defender is enough. just download and run Malware Bytes from time to time and thats it.

Edit:

Google AVG PC slow. you are not alone....

April 1st, 2017 11:00

Ya Im sure. I will check out Avira, do you do a lot of gaming with it and have no issues

April 1st, 2017 13:00

i'm using Avira for a long time. no matter what, gaming, VR or just office work. can't complain.

you can tryout Avira free if you want. it does not expire. Avira pro on the other hand is a yearly subscription.

but like i said, 99% of the time Windows Defender is all you need.

April 4th, 2017 02:00

EDIT: I found what it was. After opening MSCONFIG and going into the boot section, under the advanced options button Windows only had 4 processors checked. I unchecked this box and now all my cores are active. Just a stupid little thing haha...thanks everyone

April 4th, 2017 02:00

looool....

i'm glad you figured it out.

No Events found!