Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 12th, 2017 16:00

17r4 fans at max? core temps hitting 99 doing nothing?

Just like the title says,  New r4, 6820hk, 32gb 1080 with 2k 120hz screen.

I have downloaded HWINFO and run a custom fan program, but seriously the processor is spiking 99 while nothing is being used, just sitting idle at desktop?

I have not even attempted to run a game on this system for fear of temps!

Are these system just pasted with toothpaste?  What am I missing?

P.S. Per all my search findings I have updated the BIOS already No change.

35 Posts

November 1st, 2017 03:00

Alright this one is solved.  There apparently is a big goose egg for Quality Control in the Assembly of these computers.  All the thermal pads still had their super thin clear protective barriers on them.  Thermal padding for stuff around the processor had actually folded over during assembly and was underneath the corner of the processor preventing it from actually setting into the thermal paste.  It took 10 months calling and talking to Dell representatives to actually get a service scheduled (the tech that I had emailed with and here went MIA).  Then once the service was scheduled after two months of waiting for back order parts(Mobo & something else) the tech was going to meet me one day and then learned that he did not have the parts.  So we rescheduled for a week later and he came in and disassembled the entire system.  He and I inspected everything.  During our talks I explained that this is a very important computer I'm in senior year taking cyber security and that I would like to upgrade this computers thermal setup.  He had no qualms, so I pre-ordered the best thermal padding and thermal paste available.  I assisted him and cut all the pieces to size and we were placed every piece of thermal padding and paste in this computer.  It wasn't difficult as the factory stuff you could blow off of the board, (with just your mouth, not with a can of compressed air). Once the computer was finished and reassembled the tech had to deal with a little bit of software obstinance, but once he got it to boot everything correctly the system temps were as stable as you could ever hope for.  I've made a few phone calls to Dell asking that the warranty be extended for a year due to the undue stress to the processor because of the situation with the folded over thermal pads preventing it from seating.  They fed me a good line of b******* and transfers as one would normally expect from Dell.  I guess I am super lucky I decided not to use this system at all until I figured out why in the world just turning the system on and having it at idle would peek over 99 degrees.  But that having been said I bought this system in November of last year and it wasn't until mid September of the following year I was actually able to use the system.  I will continue to push for an extended warranty I paid over $3,000 cash for this computer and I needed it for classes that is why I purchased a brand new computer seeing's that my previous Alienware 17 had a hard drive failure due to a Microsoft update glitch that burnt up my M SATA hard drive.  Microsoft was just as reluctant to take credit for their burning up my computer is Dell is for their quality control issues.  Hopefully this changes soon.  Long story short if you have any kind of issues with your fans over running or your temps, do your research get good thermal pads and paste tear the system completely down and replace it all. HTH

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 13th, 2017 07:00

Hi,

Send me a private message with the service tag, so I can assist you further.

327 Posts

January 15th, 2017 19:00

you need a change of heatsink, they solved the issue chaging the size of some thermal pads above that heatsink to improve the contact area between the heatsink and the cpu, so you need a replacement heatsink with new thermal paste, i suggest you to buy thermal grizzly kryonaut and when the technician come to your house, you can ask him to use your thermal paste for the job and you are going to have a lot better temperatures. also you can undervolt that cpu easy to reduce more grades :)

35 Posts

February 20th, 2017 20:00

Hi. JUDAL,

I appreciate the response, I spent the past few weeks testing when I could.  I just could not believe that Dell would again send me another over $3k laptop that was not usable out of the box.  I was a little ***   to say the least, and I still am, especially at the moment.  I mean ***!?! They send me a compilation of parts that won't even sit idle much less pass a bench mark.  Something will be done about this lack of quality control, they can cut me a check for the couple of weeks testing and loss of time to actually be able to use the laptop.  Watching a simple lecture video for school pushed the temps to 80's and above with the fans set at max.  So it is just the customers loss if their product suffers damaging temp. spikes do to their beyond sub par concern for their customers.  Who doesn't the benchmarking checking for processor degradation?  Just *** right now.

1 Rookie

• 

105 Posts

February 20th, 2017 21:00

Do you OC the processor? Now don't lie. If you OC the base clock it will run hotter than normal. Just saying.

314 Posts

February 21st, 2017 08:00

he does not OC the 6820hk, look at the screen shot genius.

No Events found!