Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 17th, 2009 20:00

A06 Aurora/Area-51 Command Center

* Go here to download it
* Once installed, restart the PC
* Post your testing results in this thread

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

19 Posts

January 5th, 2010 14:00

Morning / Afternoon / Evening to you all,

I just received my Alienware Area 51 yesterday (5/1). Am based in Australia and guess what I have the same problem.

I switched on my machine and changed the colours and all worked fine (no reboots / shutdowns so far). It also showed the fan speeds etc correctly. I then needed to reboot due to windows updates etc. I done a few more reboots due other updates (like McAfee and some more windows). It all kept on working fine.

I then did a shut down and when it was off I thought it strange that the alienware logo was still on. On power up the machine worked fine again (fan speed, temp sensors, lights).

Once I was finished with the machine yesterday I did a shutdown and the Alien logo lights and the front lights (I think #2) where still on. They where also still on this morning.

This morning though when I re-started my machine the system did not switch on any other lights (logo and front where still lit) and some of the fans (perhaps all) went into overdrive.

I had a look at the console and temp sensors 1 -3 where 0 degrees (celcius). Fan speed  Hard Disk 1 (HD1) and PCI where at 55 %. the others (HD2, System, CPU Pump) looked to be at similar speeds like they where yesterday. I also tried to change the speed for HD1 and PCI with no avail. I also tried to change the lights on the case. The alien logo and front I could change but the other three (top and both sides) stayed off (Black). I then found this and another post and read that a restart will re-set it back to normal.

So I did a restart (no shutdown and then power up again but the windows restart option) and guess what. All lights came on and the fans where resetting themselfs. I know can go back into the fan option and change them and they will react and the same with all the lights.

I can remember that during the process yesterday it asked me that it wanted to update the software (Alien FX) and I said yes. I'm not 100% sure if that new software was the problem or not but there is definetly a gremlin in there. It would be nice to get the software that was delivered with my system to see if it will run.

By the way I currently have version 2.5.35.0 installed of Alien FX.

I just called the Australien Dell (Alienware) support and they advised that they have not yet a fix for it (where not aware of this problem). When I pointed him to this post he suggested I log my issue here since the more people log this problem the higher priority it will get). What he could see it looks like Chris is looking into it and lets hope he can easily re-produce the problem.

Chris: If there is a new version of the software or any other fix that you would like someone to try please feel free to contact me. I'm happy to be a test case.

19 Posts

January 5th, 2010 15:00

By the way:

I just spoke to the Australian helpdesk again and they pointed me to the download area for my system. They told me to download the new version.

I advised that the system did that already yesterday and now I might have a problem.

when I looked at the download list it clearly shows in there the Command Centere app which I mention I am running version 2.5.35.0 and it shows also the Alien FX media Plug-In one for version 1.0.0.16. I'm unable to determine which version I have of that plug in but I guess since it tried to download it is this version.

The first file (command center) is dated 3/11/09 and the Plug in is dated 30/10/09. I would assume that both these versions where on my system (build early / middle of December) but since it downloaded them it used older version when shipped. By the way it also updated DataSafe Local 2.0 (dated 11/24/09).

One interesting bit I see on this support website is an A0x number behind the version. This looks quite familiar. The Bios I have is A02. So I guess this version has been release to match a specific Bios version. The support technician I had on the phone told me that this is incorrect but since I could not see that A0x number in the version number for the command centere I guess I am correct (also I work in the IT industry - Hardware) and knowing who these things work it makes quite a lot of sense.

So, based on that the Command Center has A02 behind the version number which matches my BIOS. Where as the Plug-In has A01. Might this be the problem?

Also can someone tell me where I can see the version of the plug-in?

Thanks in advance and lets get this sorted.

5 Posts

January 5th, 2010 19:00

I just updated my bios to A03. I also updated the Alien FX media Plug-In, the command center and the DataSafe Local 2.0 with te lastes version and my computer stays with the issue (I have an alienware Area-51 received on december 22 2009) . I also would like to thank you RetoF for your post because you really seem to be the right person to help Dell to fix this problem. I hope that we will have a patch soon. :-)

1 Message

January 6th, 2010 11:00

Hello,

I attach myself to this sorrowful group. My brand new Area 51 has the same problems and symptoms as the rest., with zero temprature readings and fans at full blast. Following the suggested workaround did not work.

Chris-M, any new knowledge on when a solution is at hand?

I assume it is not dangerous to use the machine - even if it is very annoying with all the noise?

Christian

5 Posts

January 6th, 2010 12:00

Hello there,

my Area 51 was shipped 12/23/2009 and has the same problem as described above. Almost every time I shutdown the system the fans will overpower at next boot and temperatures show 0° at all 3 sensors.

I already have the newest bios and drivers installed.

I am really looking forward to a fix, or dell should collect those systems back.

Markus

9 Posts

January 6th, 2010 13:00

I have an Alienware Area 51 ALX with exactly the same problem. I'm getting it exchanged because when i received it and opened it up the whole cooling system had collapsed inside, the computer wasn't even built properly, whoever assembled it didn't clip in the cooling system in properly. So much for Dell quality control, it's a joke i bet Dell do not test their systems once they are built because if they did they would have spotted straight away that someone didn't attach the cooling system properly you couldn't miss it. I wonder if there's anyone that isn't experiencing this problem with the lights and fan noise or do all new Alienwa   re desktop pcs have this  problem.

244 Posts

January 6th, 2010 14:00

Hello,

I attach myself to this sorrowful group. My brand new Area 51 has the same problems and symptoms as the rest., with zero temprature readings and fans at full blast. Following the suggested workaround did not work.

Chris-M, any new knowledge on when a solution is at hand?

I assume it is not dangerous to use the machine - even if it is very annoying with all the noise?

Christian

Christian,

There's another fix that I worked out with the Alienware Tech Support guys in Costa Rica.  However, in my case the Area-51 was losing it's USB connection with the MIO card that controls all the Command Center functions.  As an aside, you might check your device manager to see if there's an "Unknown USB Device" splat.

In any event, the fix that always works for me is as follows:

1.  Uninstall Command Center
2.  Reboot to ensure all the cruft is cleared out
3.  Reinstall the latest Command Center version currently on Dell's Support Site
4.  Shutdown the PC and pull the power chord for 30 seconds
5.  Plug in the power chord and restart the PC.
6.  Your Command Center functions should now be working properly; and if you had one, the Unknown USB Device splat should have disappeared from Device Manager.

Give it a shot but YMMV.

I am anxiously awaiting the fix from Dell.

5 Posts

January 6th, 2010 16:00

As far as I remember I read that for many people that solution does not fix it. For me it does not. I do not even get this "Unknown USB Device".

7 Posts

January 6th, 2010 18:00

I have a Aurora Alx and this as happened twice so far . What I did was:

1) Turn off computer.

2) Unplug computer from outlet.

3) While unpluged open case and leave open about 30 sec (next time this happens i'll try to see if it work  with less time)

4) Close case.

5) Plug computer back in.

6) Start computer.

Please let me know if this works for you guys.

2 Posts

January 6th, 2010 20:00

Hello,

I was checking the net for a solution to my problem, thats when I found this thread.

I have a Area51 ALX, I live in Australia, I recieved my computer on the 31/12/09.

After the first shut down, I started to have the same problems as most here, alienware logo and front lights stay on and active vents stay open abit when I shutdown the system. Then when I start it up all the other lights stay off, the active vents open most if not all of the way, and the 3 temps in the command centre say 0 degrees, and most of the fans run at 50%, I also checked the device manager, and i can't find an unknown USB device.

The problem happens after every shutdown, not random, and its fine after a restart or first startup after being turned off and back on at the power point. Also when I turn the power point back on before touching the pc, the active vents close, and the front lights stay off, i guess this is what the system is normally meant to be when you shut it down.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate, I have noticed that windows doesn't seem to give the thermal controller and Alienware AlienFX processes enough time to shutdown properly, because windows quitly comes up with a  window prompting o force shutdown of them, but before I can act, windows shuts down.

To me espically after read this thread it seems pretty clear that its a software problem revolving around windows 7.

I hope there is a proper fix soon, its annoy buying somthing that doesn't work the way its meant to,
espically when you pay as much as you do for an Alienware pc > $5k AUS.

Thank You.
Peter

22 Posts

January 6th, 2010 21:00

I can restart my pc and it will work after that or I can shut my pc down, and unplug it then when I want to start it up I plug it back in assuming I had it unplugged at least 30 seconds or so. You can uninstall command center and blah blah blah it wont matter. It is a problem and should be addressed.  This is a widespread problem and dell needs to act on it. I hope  we can hear of a fix soon. Alienware use to be a very good name and high quality components is what you paid for. This is my second alienware, my first was 3 years ago. Unfortunately the components in this are not of the same quality as my  alienware I purchased 3 years ago. I wish dell would have left alienware alone when they bought them but they chose not to. This is without a doubt my last alienware pc.  Dell should do everyone a favor now and discontinue alienware completely and just keep there xps and incorporate alienware ideas into that. RIP Alienware.

19 Posts

January 8th, 2010 18:00

Hi All,

Another update from me.

I have a workaround but this is only temporary until Dell comes with a fix.

I changed the shutdown button in Windows 7 (Ultimate) to be the sleep.

The machine now will sleep and in some cases it will show the FX sleep lightning (yellow on and off of alienware logo) and sometimes it will just show my colour for the logo and area 2 colour (like when we do the shutdown and it does not close properly).

On shutdown it will give us the problem but on sleep (even though it might show logo and area 2 colours) it will start up with the correct colour set and fan speeds.

So when sleeping it will work but not on shutdown.

I do not like having a machine sleeping all the time but for the interim this is the best solution.

Dell please come up with a solution soon.

49 Posts

January 8th, 2010 19:00

RetoF,

I've posted another temporary solution in another thread. If you want to shutdown the computer you can. When you power it back on, press F2 to get into bios and select the "Save changes and Exit" menu. Once this is done, the computer automatically works fine. This is at least better than entering the windows environment and having to restart because it saves time. Dell please post a fix for this solution soon. Thanks,

kiax0001

29 Posts

January 8th, 2010 21:00

Hello folks. I too am having this trouble. I just recieved my Area 51 today, Friday the 8th of Jan.  Here are my specs:

I7 920 2.66Hz

6gb 1333MHz DDR3

GTX 295

Win 7 Home Premium 64

Ordered on 12/22/2009, recieved 01/08/2010

I have been following this thread for a few weeks now and was not suprised to find I have the same trouble. One of the first things I did was check for updates and I see a new

version of Command Center with todays date for downloading. It looks like a few cosmetic changes with an ability to automatically check for updates were added. However, it does not fix the problem apparently. Just to re-hash, after I shut down the computer,  zone 1(alien head) and zone 2 (front bottom) are still lit. Not sure if that is normal or not. I would like ALL the lights to be off when shut down. When I boot back up, the fans are running fast and no temp read outs in command center. Also, zone 1 never lights up unless I go into command center and play with the settings.  Like others have stated, if I shut down, unplug the power until the front lights shut off, I can re-start and the fans and temp readouts will go back working normally. Until there is a fix, I will use a power strip to cut power after shutdown is complete. I sure hoped that today's update release would do the trick, but I guess not. I find it hard to believe they don't have one back at the plant with this problem.

The suppose work around suggested about disabling the thermal and Fx files on start up did not work for me.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 9th, 2010 15:00

Wow, Dell quality is going down the drain!

Then again, I don't remember the last time I had a good system from dell..

No Events found!