Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 17th, 2009 20:00

A06 Aurora/Area-51 Command Center

* Go here to download it
* Once installed, restart the PC
* Post your testing results in this thread

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

63 Posts

January 29th, 2010 14:00

Excellent... glad to hear some of your problems have been resolved.  Clearly Dell has some work to do here to iron out all the wrinkles... and I believe they're up to the task.  It's just a matter of time.  Meanwhile, enjoy your new beast!

Yep, I'm happy with my system, I'm just providing feedback that might help them fix it.  I would love if they implemented an API so we could script actions to it, but that's probably asking too much.

By the way, on a positive side, here's my Eyefinity setup, raiding on WoW last night:

http://img137.imageshack.us/i/vineyefinitythecheapway.jpg/

29 Posts

January 29th, 2010 15:00

There is a manual for a SDK and a couple of example apps located in the Alienware\Command Center folder on my drive, but no SDK software.  Too bad.

1 Message

January 29th, 2010 18:00

hello everyone,

I just wanted to say that I was having the same problems with command center that have been detailed in this thread. I installed the A06 version and everything has been working fine since, at least as far as I can tell, which brings me to my question....

Now that everything is working and is nice and quiet, when is the system fan (the fan mounted on the radiator) suppossed to spin up? It has never gone above ~1200rpm and after the flare at start up, stays pretty constant at this level.  Does it respond at all to temperature? The three ambient temp sensors have been fairly stable at 18-22C. I Primed for 1/2 hour or so, and while the temps of the cores went up as expected, I saw no other response from any of the fans. The system seems to idle between 35-40C and I took it up to 70C while priming. I know that there is chip variation and inaccuracy in the reported value, but I guess what I was looking for was some type of response from the "cooling system." Should I have been? Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated. I am just looking trying to figure out if everything is working as designed.

(Alienware Area 51, Core I7 920 @ 2.6GHz (Not over-clocked))

Jay

4 Posts

January 29th, 2010 22:00

Hello,

My Alienware AREA 51 was delivered in early December (12/8/2009). Within a day or two I started having the exact problems with the command center that have been well detailed in this thread.  The A06 update did not  fix the issues I have had and I can honestly say I have tried every fix posted to this thread over the past 6 or 7 weeks!   I have patiently waited for a patch/fix that will work and have been extremely disappointed each time. I see that I am not the only one who is still having the fan/lights/command center issues.  Please, those of you who are still having problems, speak up!  Chris and others, keep us posted and do not close the books on this one!  Aside from sending my "dream machine" back for replacement, I see no other alternative but to continue waiting for a permanent fix.  Thank you to all who have contributed your experience and fixes. 

Joe

Alienware Area-51

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 960 @ 3.20GHz

6GB (3X2GB)  PC3-10660 (1333 MHz) RAM

BIOS A03

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295

600GB RAID 0 (2X300GB VelociRaptor  SATA-II, 10KRPM, 16MB Cache HDDs)

1TB SATA-II, 3GB/s, 7200RPM, 32MB Cache HDD

2.4K Posts

January 29th, 2010 22:00

Installed AO6. When I shut of the computer OMG the front lights went out and the vents closed. First time it has ever done that since I had the computer. Thank you for not making me unplug it. I havn't had the fast fan speeds at all with this build.

Issues I have had with this build:

1) No vent control at all when using the Fan Speed % option. It does nothing but break vent closing on shutdown. Requires reinstall after it happens.

2) Lost vent closing on shut down twice which required a full uninstall & reinstall plus a reset of MSB to get it working again. Could also be related to the first issue.

3) Lost total control of lights once and had to restart.

4) Lost total control of vents just now. Nothing I do can make them move. They are now stuck fully opened.

23 Posts

January 30th, 2010 03:00

Does anyone have any ideas as to why I suddenly can't uninstall Command center (1628 error) or install the new patch? I did some research and some people say it's because of the local security settings and etc, but I can't access those in Home Premium. I tried another fix that involved me having to insert my windows 7 disc and update in hopes of repairing the issue but no dice.

Other software uninstalls and installs just fine...

Thanks!!

23 Posts

January 30th, 2010 05:00

Alright so I figured it out, had to clean up the registry a bit.

now everything seems to be working except for the Thermal Controls section of the command center. All I get is large "Alien" lettering.

Is that normal?

63 Posts

January 30th, 2010 13:00

Alright so I figured it out, had to clean up the registry a bit.

now everything seems to be working except for the Thermal Controls section of the command center. All I get is large "Alien" lettering.

Is that normal?

Can you post a link or steps to cleaning the registry that you used?

I tried to uninstall and it locks up (this was after trying to sleep), had to restart to uninstall.  Tried the steps to fully clean it, still could not sleep.  I fully uninstalled it, shutdown, waited a few minutes, booted up, still can't sleep even w/o Command Center at all.  I'm considering reverting to my system image I have saved from a few weeks ago so I can undo whatever happened.

18 Posts

January 30th, 2010 14:00

Hello,

Updated my Area 51 with Version A06 of Command Center:

1.  All of the lights on the system turn off during shutdown as well as the vents will go into the closed position.

2.  During a cold start (start after shutdown), the system lights work properly and the fans do not run on high anymore and will come down to normal speeds.

3. The issue regarding the automatic vent however is still not resolved. I have mine set to automatic and to open if the fan speed is higher than 50% but the vents stay        open at all times.

4. The Programming of AlienFX Theme in Command Center doesn´t work if you try to choose a Program (.exe) for the new Profile (same as A05).

Error:

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): Beim Aufruf einer COM-Komponente wurde ein HRESULT E_FAIL-Fehler zurückgegeben.
   bei AlienLabs.AlienFX.Editor.ShellLink.IShellLinkW.Resolve(IntPtr hWnd, UInt32 fFlags)
   bei AlienLabs.AlienFX.Editor.ShellLink.Open(String linkFile, IntPtr hWnd, EShellLinkResolveFlags resolveFlags, UInt16 timeOut)
   bei AlienLabs.AlienFX.Editor.ShellLink..ctor(String linkFile)
   bei AlienLabs.AlienFX.Editor.ApplicationTreeNode.PopulateFiles(String initialPath)
   bei AlienLabs.AlienFX.Editor.ApplicationTreeNode..ctor(ApplictionTreeNodeType type, String name, String fullPath)
   bei AlienLabs.AlienFX.Editor.ApplicationsForest.PopulateFolders(String initialPath)
   bei AlienLabs.AlienFX.Editor.ApplicationsWindows.PopulateTree()
   bei AlienLabs.AlienFX.Editor.ApplicationsWindows..ctor()
   bei AlienLabs.AlienFX.Editor.VisualizationsController.getApplicationData()
   bei AlienLabs.AlienFX.Editor.VisualizationsController.AddVisualization(String model)
   bei System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   bei System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   bei System.Windows.Controls.Button. Alien TactX. etc.

2 Posts

January 30th, 2010 16:00

The A06 update has worked for me so far. Only a few shutdowns but. If it keeps working it well be great to have the problem fixed finally.

244 Posts

February 1st, 2010 07:00

Alas, after installing A06 my issue with the "Unknown USB device" in Device Manager after waking up from Sleep continues to rear it's ugly head.  I was hopeful, but it was't to be with A06.  In addition to this problem I'm also losing the blinking yellow "Sleep" profile with the Alienware badge on the front CD/DVD drive cover.  That had never happend before with the previous builds.

I know Dell is working this... it's a shame this couldn't have been worked out before the units were released to the public.  But I'm confident they'll crack this nut sooner ot later.

16 Posts

February 1st, 2010 10:00

And I have encountered the "Unknown USB Device" for the first time with A06.  I never encountered it before (just lucky I guess).  I wish there was a way to disable all of the lighting stuff at the hardware level as I don't care for any of it anyway.  Perhaps a cable or two to unplug somewhere?

63 Posts

February 1st, 2010 10:00

Funny you say that, I mentioned in other threads but not here; my Area-51 shipped with the Vent lighting and power disconnected.  Nothing worked at all.  I did notice the power supply handle was slightly open and ajar, so I opened it up, and ended up pulling out my 5970 (using an ESD pad of course), and saw 2 plugs dangling.  They were labeled "Vent SW1" and "Vent Light".  I found the matching plugs on the control board with the same labels, and connected them.  After I plugged them in and turned it on they worked.  Of course I still had the same issues with the software.

So anyway, if you unplug these 2 that will disable the Vent light/power, the other lighting is most likely there too.  I haven't looked, but there is probably a manual for the control board too.

19 Posts

February 1st, 2010 14:00

Hi All,

so far no major issue with A06. Shutdown a few times and sleep a few time.

I'm not sure about the unknown USB since I have not had a look.

What I have had about 3 times (definitly with A06 - potentially once with A05) is that one of the side lights suddenly cycle through from Purple to blue over other colours to red. If I look in the Alien FX I only have one colour set.

Any reason why it should cycle --> does it indicate a problem with hardware and therefore gives a warning?

for the rest the light in front on shutdown always go off and on sleep the alien head is the colour I defined.

Cheers

RF

2.4K Posts

February 3rd, 2010 00:00

Hi All,

so far no major issue with A06. Shutdown a few times and sleep a few time.

I'm not sure about the unknown USB since I have not had a look.

What I have had about 3 times (definitly with A06 - potentially once with A05) is that one of the side lights suddenly cycle through from Purple to blue over other colours to red. If I look in the Alien FX I only have one colour set.

Any reason why it should cycle --> does it indicate a problem with hardware and therefore gives a warning?

for the rest the light in front on shutdown always go off and on sleep the alien head is the colour I defined.

Cheers

RF

I have been having the exact issue you are having. Had it with the older CC and this one. My side light will flash from Red to Blue and then back to Red once every 10-30min. I catch it out of the side of my eye. I have been waiting to see if anyone had this issue. Thought maybe it was just mine that was doing it. I have noticed if I use any other color it doesn't do it or I haven't noticed it but it always does it with red.

No Events found!