Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 17th, 2009 20:00

A06 Aurora/Area-51 Command Center

* Go here to download it
* Once installed, restart the PC
* Post your testing results in this thread

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

44 Posts

February 14th, 2010 14:00

This topic should be sticky!

and any update as to when this problem might be sorted it out? or still no ETA?

I don't know what problems you are experiencing.

I have the A06 version of the command center software and the A03 bios update installed on my Area 51 system. The fans go to normal speeds, the vents when the system is running and close when the system is shut down, I don't bother with the lights I keep them turned of by selecting "go dark" via right click of the alien-head icon in the system tray.

Although not perfect this makes the command center function work well enough so that there is no problem waiting for the eventual fix if there ever is one.

Other than that the system works perfect.

Roy Berger

29 Posts

February 14th, 2010 16:00

The only complaints I have left are the "active" fins and the fact that the temps and cpu fan speeds are suspect. The fins don't open with the % of any fan speed, they only work manually. The cpu pump and the cpu cooling fan speeds never change to any significant degree no matter how hard I work the computer. That doesn't make sense to me. Also, if you go into the CMOS setup, you can read the actual cpu temp which reads about 42c when resting. That does not jive with any of the zone temp readouts, so it would seem that we are not seeing the cpu temp in command center but only areas inside the case. 22 to 25 degree c is about room temp.

44 Posts

February 14th, 2010 16:00

The only complaints I have left are the "active" fins and the fact that the temps and cpu fan speeds are suspect. The fins don't open with the % of any fan speed, they only work manually. The cpu pump and the cpu cooling fan speeds never change to any significant degree no matter how hard I work the computer. That doesn't make sense to me. Also, if you go into the CMOS setup, you can read the actual cpu temp which reads about 42c when resting. That does not jive with any of the zone temp readouts, so it would seem that we are not seeing the cpu temp in command center but only areas inside the case. 22 to 25 degree c is about room temp.

Yes, the way I see it is that the command center software is pretty much non functional and that the fixes so far simply fix some problems that were annoying.

I hope that Dell proves me wrong but I have my doubt that they will ever fix the command center so that it functions the way it is supposed to.

Roy Berger

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 14th, 2010 17:00

I have the A06 version of the command center software and the A03 bios update installed on my Area 51 system. The fans go to normal speeds, the vents when the system is running and close when the system is shut down, I don't bother with the lights I keep them turned of by selecting "go dark" via right click of the alien-head icon in the system tray.

Although not perfect this makes the command center function work well enough so that there is no problem waiting for the eventual fix if there ever is one.

Roy Berger

The fan is running at full speed. I'm on BIOS vA03, and ACC vA06. I have tried all the steps included in this topic but nothing worked.

I even spoke to an Alienware rep who just gave me an "Too Bad" attitude. So yeah?

44 Posts

February 14th, 2010 18:00

Roy Berger

The fan is running at full speed. I'm on BIOS vA03, and ACC vA06. I have tried all the steps included in this topic but nothing worked.

I even spoke to an Alienware rep who just gave me an "Too Bad" attitude. So yeah?

I would return it and get my money back.

Roy

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 14th, 2010 21:00

I called again, this time the tech rep went and checked for "AlienwareAlienFXTester"  and  found out that "No board detected" so he's replacing it.

I should have it replaced by this week. Hopefully that will solve the problem and I'll never put my system into "Sleep" mode. That's what caused it all.

Is there any other reason as to how it happened? Please let me know as I would like to avoid it!

If any of you have this problem with lights and fan you can goahead and do the same as me.

Run:

C:\Program Files\Alienware\Command Center\AlienwareAlienFXTester.exe

To see if yours also show "no board detected" and if lights are working.

29 Posts

February 15th, 2010 05:00

I called again, this time the tech rep went and checked for "AlienwareAlienFXTester"  and  found out that "No board detected" so he's replacing it.

I should have it replaced by this week. Hopefully that will solve the problem and I'll never put my system into "Sleep" mode. That's what caused it all.

Is there any other reason as to how it happened? Please let me know as I would like to avoid it!

If any of you have this problem with lights and fan you can goahead and do the same as me.

Run:

The FXTester.exe works for me. Comes up with a window and shows a version number. Has buttons for checking different colors leds. You hit the button and asks you did the lights change to that color.

February 15th, 2010 14:00

Run:

The FXTester.exe works for me. Comes up with a window and shows a version number. Has buttons for checking different colors leds. You hit the button and asks you did the lights change to that color.

I ran the tester and it also shows "no board detected".  What's really bothering me is that while previous versions of Command Centre had problems, I could always do the uninstall/reinstall after hard reboot/unplug the computer and I'd be back to the fans working and the colour FX up and running.  This A06 has pooched everything and all I get on reboot is a notice that WIndows has detected a problem with an unknown USB and has stopped it from functioning.  Any way to get the old release back so I can just muck around with my computer once a week rather than having it sit there with the blades wide open, the fans screaming and no colour scheme.  Please save me from "is your computer plugged in?" support hell in Mumbai!!  And please get your shite together with your halo product Dell Inc.!!

4 Posts

February 15th, 2010 22:00

Ran the C:\Program Files\Alienware\Command Center\AlienwareAlienFXTester.exe with the following results:

Board Information:

Current Version: 1.02.04

Upgrading to       1.02.04

Firmware Upgrade  ---> Skipped

The remainder was the "Set LEDs RED"...etc...etc.  So I have the board reporting to the software and the LEDs check out fine. Again, my system is and AREA 51 (non ALX), BIOS A03, with the A06 command center. I still have the System fan running on high (very, very loud) with System fan sensor reporting 0 RPM!  I can occasionally get a System Fan RPM reading by switching between manual and auto. However, that is only briefly (a second or two) before it reverts back to 0 RPM.   Tried disconnecting the (radiator) fan but things heated up very quckly and decided to reconnect  it!  Lights and fins appear to be working fine.  All (and I do mean ALL) previous attempts to fix this that have been posted have failed to correct the system fan running at full speed issue.

I remain quite frustrated by all of this and I see that I am not alone.  Obviously phone support is of no help (judging by the other posts) nor is sending my system back for replacement.  Chris, are the techs at Dell still working on this?  How about an update?

Joe

7 Posts

February 16th, 2010 17:00

Got my ALX-A51 in December. From day one I had all these problems with the Alien FX lighting and no proper thermal controls.

Double booting through the bios or cold booting after unplugging the PC was a good work around. Thermal control and venting all working using auto settings. Lights a bit random.

Dell replaced the Alien FX board with a new one. Now the auto settings have the hard drive cooling running at 55% speed from cold (ambient temps 22-26deg) which is very noisy. Setting to a manual cooling curve profile sorts this out. 20-24% fan speed when cool. After a full nights gaming the temps dont change more than 2-3 deg and the fans and water cooling pump dont seem to be going much harder. All lighting working as normal.

(A06 command center, A03 bios, alien fx board firmware flashed and detected)

The new problem is that the active venting is totally dead. Permanently open on half setting. Never flares on boot up and never closes.

So the new Alient FX board has improved the lighting, killed the venting, and made the thermal cooling worse since it cant seem to operate on an auto control setting sensibly when the old board did.

Dell are now saying I need a new motherboard, new Alien FX board, and to reformat the entire OS. Sounds like the kind of solution someone gets when they have nothing left to try.

IMO they should just ship me a new PC from the factory for my troubles. Its insulting that you spend £4000 on a PC which passes a quality control check at the factory... yet arrives with a major fault from first boot. Then Dell want to replace every component one by one till some miracle just happens to fix it.

Question is. Should I let the less than competent Dell sub-contractor technician change my motherboard or should I just keep my partially working system as is?

I cant tell if the "manual" cooling curves will do the job or if the temperature sensors are accurate enough.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 17th, 2010 22:00

If yours shows "No board detected" you should def get the IO Panel board replaced and if that does not resolves the problem.

Everything has to be replaced in order for it to work properly (unless they come up with a BIOS FIX).

I was told by the rep is that whatever BIOS/Alienware Command Center version the system comes with...you should stick to it.

This way you do not encounter the fan problem and upgrading to the latest version casued me all the trouble. Everything worked fine before that.

@existenze, If I were you, I'd just get some parts replacement rather than wait another 1-2 months for a system. Changing the motherboard, heat sink and fan should resolve the problem as I was told.

63 Posts

February 18th, 2010 08:00

Just as I thought: Cold boot, and now it is detected.  I have no desire to call Dell about this, and even less desire to have someone come to my house and learn how to work on the Area-51 in front of me.  I think I'll hold out until A07. Hopefully Chris can provide an early version again, and I'd be happy to test.

63 Posts

February 18th, 2010 08:00

Interesting, I just ran the AlienwareAlienFXTester.exe and it reports "No board detected".  I tried clicking the "Set LEDs RED" and it just locked up, and never changed the LEDs from Blue.

I guess I need to have this replaced.  Maybe then my system can finally sleep/hibernate again.

7 Posts

February 19th, 2010 08:00

Dell have now replace the Alien FX IO board for the 2nd time. No improvement on fan speed. But the active venting has returned to normal. But the new board caused a conflict with the old motherboard. PC auto shutdown after 5mins constantly.

They have also now replaced the motherboard. This came with an X21 bios which I understand is the beta test bios for the A-51 machines. Reflashed to A03 now.

Result as follows:

Fan speeds only normal if running manual cooling curve

Active venting working as intended

All lights work as intended

Motherboard will not accept the latest chipset flash (system does not meet minimum requirements) - possible that they have given me a very old stock motherboard...

RAM is now detected as 1066mhz DDR3 and not the original as specified 1600mhz DD3 - Dell say this is to do with the chipset update failure...

So guess what.... Dell have offered to replace the system completely with a new one! (I can keep my semi functional system untill the new one arrives and I am satisfied it's working)

Please pray this one ships in working condition.

PS. Dell advised NOT to reflash the Alien FX board to the latest version as it can cause more problems than using the old one. (ie. Use the latest A06 command center, but use the old firmware on board with it. Only upgrade your bios to A03)

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 19th, 2010 08:00

Dell have now replace the Alien FX IO board for the 2nd time. No improvement on fan speed. But the active venting has returned to normal. But the new board caused a conflict with the old motherboard. PC auto shutdown after 5mins constantly.

They have also now replaced the motherboard. This came with an X21 bios which I understand is the beta test bios for the A-51 machines. Reflashed to A03 now.

Result as follows:

Fan speeds only normal if running manual cooling curve

Active venting working as intended

All lights work as intended

Motherboard will not accept the latest chipset flash (system does not meet minimum requirements) - possible that they have given me a very old stock motherboard...

RAM is now detected as 1066mhz DDR3 and not the original as specified 1600mhz DD3 - Dell say this is to do with the chipset update failure...

So guess what.... Dell have offered to replace the system completely with a new one! (I can keep my semi functional system untill the new one arrives and I am satisfied it's working)

Please pray this one ships in working condition.

PS. Dell advised NOT to reflash the Alien FX board to the latest version as it can cause more problems than using the old one. (ie. Use the latest A06 command center, but use the old firmware on board with it. Only upgrade your bios to A03)

Same here...on the phone with the rep..process of getting a system exchange.

I pray for the same for all of us =)

Edit: It's done. Now lets see how long it takes.

No Events found!