Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 19th, 2015 06:00

ALIENWARE 13 AlienFx Not working, USB ports not working, Bluetooth gone

Hello everyone!

I got my Alienware 13 laptop last May 2015. Everything worked fine out of the box. I upgraded the OS to Win 10 last September. Everything worked fine. No issues whatsoever. All automatic updates are turned on and I installed every latest driver update available.

2 days ago, November 17, 2015, when I turned on the laptop from sleep and tried to turn off the keyboard lights by pressing Fn + f12 (shortcut for alienfx on/off) which I normally do since I got the device, it didn't work. I opened the AW Command Center then this message welcomed me,

"The device you have selected is included in the current theme but AlienFX cannot detect this device on your system.  Do you want to remove this device from the current theme?" I pressed NO.

I tried to tweak the colors of the keyboard but it doesn't work. Even though in the command center, the lights are changed, the actual laptop keyboard lights didn't. I searched the internet and dell support and had tried every troubleshooting possible. Like draining the battery, updating the BIOS, updating the AW CC, re-installing the AW CC, repairing the AW CC, etc..

I ran the AlienFx Tester and it says "No board detected" on top of the alienfx tester page. Firmware upgrade is not clickable and it says "skipped". When I pressed "Set LEDs RED" It says, "It seems there is problem with the AlienFX board"

Another problem are the USB ports. all 3 of them are not working. It won't detect my printer, phone usb and external HDD like it usually does. When I plug in either of the 3 USB ports, I noticed that it doesn't make the sound whenever a usb is plugged into it (My audio, notification settings are not muted).

Lastly, I just found out that the bluetooth icon was gone. I tried to search from the device manager but it's not already there.

Please help me. I take care of this laptop like a brother. Never been wet, dropped or anything. Everything just happened suddenly. I don't know if an update or software problem but please anyone can help me fix this.

1 Message

January 30th, 2016 14:00

Hello,

Had the exact same problem, down to the letter. I'm using an Alienware 13 with windows 10. Worked fine the day before, and today when i started my PC and the windows 10 update came through and all of my USB ports stopped working and my desktop icons were rearranged. I fixed it by:

1. Opening the control panel

2. Searching for "Device Manager"

3. Clicking on the small arrow to the left of "Universal Serial Bus Controller"

4. Right clicking on USB Root Hub (xHCI)

5. Clicking the "Enable" menu option

6. Prompted to restart computer

After the restart, the computer worked fine, keyboard lights, USB ports and all!

Hope this helps :)

2 Posts

November 21st, 2015 16:00

I have the same issue! I put my laptop on sleep then alienware fx and usb ports stopped working.  Only had it for 3 weeks T_T

1 Message

January 20th, 2017 16:00

THIS WORKED!!!! I'm so happy! Thanks so much..

I love this laptop but sometimes it really has these annoying quirks that are cumbersome.

7 Of my keyboard keys have stopped working and will randomly work for 10 seconds every blue moon.

Any Idea of any fixes for that?

Youre a geniius!

No Events found!