Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 18th, 2017 10:00

ALienware Area 51 R2 ram upgrade

I had bought the system with 8 gigs or ram. Recently I felt I needed to get more. so I bought

Dell 16 GB Certified Replacement Memory Module for Select Dell Systems - 2Rx8 UDIMM 2400MHz this week. Just got it and installed it, yet no boot up. I have tried to everything I can think of but I can not get it to boot up with this ram stick installed. I need help.

August 18th, 2017 11:00

Hi mdbain.

how did you order them? did you just picked some Dell RAM or did you enter the Service Tag Number and ordered recommended ones?

are your old Modules 2 x 4 GB RAM Sticks? you have very likely different RAM Modules installed right now. 8 GB 2133 MHz and 16 GB 2400 MHz and maybe even different Manufacturers like Samsung and Hynix.  you should not Mix different RAM Specs / Brands.

remove all RAM Modules and install only one of the new Modules. now try to Boot. if it doesn't work then try with Clear CMOS. disconnect all Cables, remove the Coin Cell Battery and hold Power On Button for a Minute. put the Battery back in and try to Boot again. if you still can't Boot then your new RAM is not compatible with your A51.

BTW: you don't have to use Dell certified RAM Modules. you can install 3rd Party RAM. the RAM Specs should be Max 2666 MHz, 1.2v, Non ECC, Unbuffered. HyperX Fury or Crucial Ballistix Tactical work with no Issue.

8 Posts

August 18th, 2017 13:00

I went to the Dell compatibility page it tit showed me this memory. It is one 16 gig stick. It isa Kingston.

I have no idea how to do the stuff you said. 15 years ago I could do anything, but now I am a total noob.

8 Posts

August 18th, 2017 13:00

After a quick Google search refresher. I did what you said and the ram still would not boot up. Seems I got the wrong thing, getting ready to return it and looking at other suggestions for ram.

August 18th, 2017 14:00

so you have 1 x 8 GB and 1 x 16 GB Modules installed right now?

to be honest, i would return it if i were you since the old and new RAM Modules don't match. even if you can get it to work the different Modules will probably cause more Troubles down the Road.

8 Posts

August 18th, 2017 16:00

Yeah, I am sending it back. Going to get a pair 8's to replace what I have. Thanks for the help.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 18th, 2017 23:00

Carbon Based Lifeform wrote:

so you have 1 x 8 GB and 1 x 16 GB Modules installed right now?

Yes, that would be a bad config. Best you could do is install each un-matched DIMM in Banks #1 and #2. If it works at all, it will be running in Single-Channel.

However, if the new DIMM doesn't work alone, in the first slot of Bank-1, something else might be wrong with it (speed, voltage, etc.)

No Events found!