Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 16th, 2013 19:00

AMD Radeon HD 7970M Not Recognised & Pink Screen

I recently purchased the M17x R4.

When playing Eve Online, tabbing out of the game causes the entire screen to turn into a pink mess. Mouse still moves and I can still click and open everything (provided I can make out what it is I'm clicking through all the pink. If I "ctrl + at + delete" where the computer takes me to the screen where you can select to log off/switch user/open task manager/etc and then press cancel to return to the desktop, all the pink disappears and everything is completely fine. At first I thought I could tolerate it but given how many times I tab out to browse the web or do other things, I decided I needed to fix this.

The driver I had installed was the mobility catalyst driver 13.1. Which I downloaded from the AMD website as it appeared more up to date than the one of the dell support site. Given that I've been told by an alienware representative that the version on the dell support site is the most stable, I downloaded that (http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/au/en/audhs1/DriverDetails/Product/alienware-m17x-r4?driverId=N3GM1&osCode=W764&fileId=2991747914) and found the issue was still not fixed. At this point I also noticed that none of my games recognised the ATI GPU as only the Intel HD 4000 was available in the graphics adapter drop down menu (Eve Online/Skyrim/Fallout: New Vegas were the games I looked at).

Any ideas on how to fix this?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 17th, 2013 00:00

Once you have your video drivers and hybrid video system working again ...

On the game's icon (or Steam, etc.)

Compatibility tab (if available) , make sure both are selected:

- Disable Visual Themes

- Disable Desktop Composition

Basically, this dedicates all the video card's resources to the Full Screen game (not reserving part to run the Windows fancy Aero Desktop).

You shouldn't have less trouble when you Tab-Out of games to the desktop now.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 16th, 2013 19:00

If you can get your drivers installed properly again, I have a possible fix for your original "Tabbing out" problem.

Call Dell and let them help you fix your drivers.

I think I would uninstall them both, reboot, and then re-install both (clean install both).

It sounds weird, but I think the AMD Catalyst should be first, then the Intel-HD 4000.

ftp.dell.com/.../alienware-m17x-r4.html

February 16th, 2013 23:00

Okay I've done a clean install of both drivers, in the order that you suggested (installing AMD Catalyst first and the the intel HD). What do I do now?

February 17th, 2013 01:00

That did the trick! Tesla1856 you are a god amongst men; a true gentleman and scholar!

No Events found!