Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 10th, 2013 05:00

AURORA R4 Huge fan throttling

I'm a proud owner of an Aurora R4

Lately ( 2 months ) i had some issues with the cooling system, because 

At ease, with just some programs running, like a browser, music player and steam for example, the thermal control shows that the system fan is going at 1400-1800 rpm, the PCI fan its at 1550 rpm, and the HD fan at 1000 rpm ( 30% )

But when i play some game in 3d, the stress pump up and the main fan is going full speed and volume. 

The PCI and HD fan are doing almost the same, but the system one goes up at over 4400 rpm.

This happened me once before, like this winter, i just opened the case and i've cleaned the dust that covered the main fan with a compressed air bottle. Everything went fine. 

But now i don't understand why,  even if i cleaned the inside of the case several times, still goes with this - really annoying - behaviour.
I've thought that was the heat of the summer, i tried to put the case in an higher and cooler space. I upgraded the drivers, I runned some tests to find that everything was simply ok.

And now, that the global temperature had dropped, i'm coming here to ask, because i can't find a solution. 

180 Posts

September 11th, 2013 07:00

Any tips or have you corrected this this? If the CPU temps are at 104 under load it could be a bad themal paste issue. The fan will spin up to it';s max speed if the CPU is overheating.  You might want to call DELL if under warranty or remove the pump and repaste the CPU. Here is a video for the removing the pump http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/supportvideos/ShowFavoriteVideo?VideoEmbedCodeParam=BibzNiMzrQM-sBez9FdNNWI1f0QThIeW

Also look at his post regardintg blocked fins on the pump

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19516339.aspx

Good luck-

6 Posts

September 10th, 2013 06:00

In the steps that i did to try to find the solution, i've already did and update of the BIOS
That's confirmed when i've downloaded, anyway, the file from the given link and the message confirmed that the driver is up to date. A07 to be precise. 

• 

3.3K Posts

September 10th, 2013 06:00

Hi Hennemon,

I appreciate the trouble shooting steps to resolve the issue. I would like to know if you flashed BIOS while updating the drivers. If you have updated BIOS, I suggest that you flash the BIOS from the link given below:

http://dell.to/1az6ON9

Let me know the status after BIOS update.

• 

2.7K Posts

September 10th, 2013 08:00

Hello Hennemon!

As well, I will recommend you to uninstall and reinstall the command center <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>that will help the fans to run a little bit quite, just make sure to do a power drain before reinstalling it.  

In addition you can check on the temperature of the hold system to make sure is not overheating

6 Posts

September 10th, 2013 10:00

Well, the issue is still present.

I've followed the instructions, unistalled and reinstalled the command center, did the power drain ( twice to be sure ) and empied the can of compressed air to be sure there were no overheating issues. 

I've installed CPUID for a better detalied report on the situation. I'm no expert, but once i've saw the data i could point out that the TMPIN0 of the ALIENWARE 07JNH0 went out to 104°C while the temperature at ease is 68°

And the 2nd voice of the NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX690 ( I don't know why there are two voices for the gcard ) the TMPIN0 went to 86°C while the at ease value is 40°C

I don't know if it helps. 

6 Posts

September 11th, 2013 05:00

Is there some other tip? Any other solution?

I point out that this problem comes only when i play 3d games, and only. So I assume that could be a gcard issue. I don't know. 
I confess a little frustation, since i can't play games without this huge fan sound in my ears, i can't ear music, sometimes not even the game itself without pumping the volume. And i fear that the fan is going to deteriorate going at such speed. Should i bring the case to a check? 

180 Posts

September 11th, 2013 07:00

Also there are two reading on the 690 possibly because it is a dual GPU card. Remove it and give it a good cleaning and adjust your PCI fan to curve so that it automatically ramps up at the temps increase. This should also be done the for GPU fan. Nvidia Precision X can provide an option for a fan curve on the card.

6 Posts

September 11th, 2013 08:00

Thanks for the answers, really. I'll try and post results. 

6 Posts

September 11th, 2013 18:00

This.

This is the problem, and the solution. A fin of the pump was blocked like in the link. 

You're the boss, man. I changed the thermal paste, anyway, just in case. 
The temperature of the CPU dropped at like 91°C under stress i don't know if is good, but i feel that i can clean better. In the first try i fixed in a no-to-so-good position the pump on the CPU and the temperature was over 100°, and after a better work with screws and screwdriver, and a better position and everything was fine. 

Also, since I'm not really used of this kind of things, and when i opened the pump i messed up a little and spilled a some of the liquid.. something like a 5cm square flat liquid stain. I assume that is not so much, but if it is a relative important quantity i'd like to ask any solution to this. 

180 Posts

September 12th, 2013 11:00

Sounds like your getting close but I think the temps are still a ittle high. Example, I play BF3 on ultra and my CPU temps only reach about 60-65c. I did place a Corsair 120mm fan on the radiator to create a push/pull system and I am sure it helps alot. My idle temps are about 32-34c. I just checked as I was typing this. My specs are R3 w/ I7-2600, 16gb of Gskill ram at 1600mghz and a GTX770 just for reference.

If you did lose a small amount of coolant as you said, it should not be a problem. The main thing is to make sure the pump is seated correctly. Hopefully Tesla or Morblore will chime in and give their input as they are much more knowledgable then I.

I will follow this posts are you keep narrowing it down.

No Events found!