Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

May 14th, 2017 20:00

AW13 CC/FX issues after upgrade to Win10

System: Alienware 13      S-Tag:   E.S.C.: 2526413438

Not only am I an avid gamer, I also DJ professionally and (as it always does) I was in the market for an upgrade, as my previous laptop was growing tired and outdated. With its phenomenal cosmic power, ity bity living space, along with the AlienFX lighting, the Alienware 13 is exactly what I needed. 
The AW13 was living up to and exceeding my expectations, even with Win 8.1. It handled everything I could dish out. So far, so good. That is.....until the free Win 10 upgrade & Anniversary Update. Machine became FUBAR shortly after. Drivers were all wrong, settings and features were all mixed up....it was just total chaos the moment the machine was turned on.
After some extensive research, I was able to regain control with the assistance of the UEFI firmware and Powershell Admin support, with the exception of the Command Center & AlienFX.
AlienFX non-power zones turn on, just lighter or darker than what is active in the Command Center, but primary colors are fine. The "ALIENWARE" zone is always dim when blue, otherwise its like the other non-power zones. Same as the lid. Power (Alien) button zone is always never activates unlit until you run test program and will remain "White" until shutdown(Red & Green ok, AW zone dim when blue, "White" test has slight yellow tint). The HD, Charge & Wifi activity lights never come on.......EVER. 
Now, I have followed the uninstall tutorial, to the letter, several times....a few times, even go beyond what it suggests, i have power drained several times, reinstalled......all of that mess to just end up back where I started. 

Is there anything else that can be done to fix this issue? Would a different BIOS or a BIOS from a different AW laptop help? Would like to avoid a complete teardown, but I will do what I must.  Thanks in advance.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

May 15th, 2017 08:00

Hi ‌,

Send me a private message with the service tag so I can assist you further.

4 Posts

May 15th, 2017 10:00

Message w/ S-Tag has been sent. I am hoping we can resolve this issue, not just for myself, but for all the other Alienware owners across the globe.
From what I have read in many, many different forums and support pages, this is a very common problem and is not limited to a specific system.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 15th, 2017 11:00

until the free Win 10 upgrade & Anniversary Update. Machine became FUBAR shortly after. Drivers were all wrong, settings and features were all mixed up....it was just total chaos the moment the machine was turned on.

Sounds like you never truly recovered from this event. I suggest ...

This says you are allowed to run Windows-10, so I guess you are OK there:

Upgrading to Windows 10 on your Alienware system | Dell US 

Be sure you have the latest BIOS installed.

Clean install Windows-10

Alienware 15 R2 Fps super low somedays and computer runs slow somedays help 

Install proper and latest Command Center for Laptops (toward the very end of software build-up). This link is for Alienware 13-R1:

Product support for Alienware 13 

4 Posts

May 15th, 2017 15:00

Thanks for the links and info. I will inspect further once I get home.

4 Posts

May 15th, 2017 19:00

Going to update the BIOS and go from there.

No Events found!