Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 27th, 2015 00:00

AW17 R2, old raid? Need new BIOS.

Being bored, and looking at the initial bios now that its on the website, while looking at the BIOS structure for the AW17 R2 Bios version A00, I have to ask being a new machine, why did the engineers use "Intel(R) RAID for SATA - v10.0.0.1046"?? We have M.2 cards and this BIOS will not support proper TRIM support, nor proper RAID support with these cards. Since the M.2 looks to be Sata3 based and not PCIe based, why the decision to use a RAID OROM that's from 2010??? Can we get at least a v13 raid orom without modifying the BIOS and voiding warranty for BIOS A01? This is using HM87 Express and therefore, 12.8 and lower isn't even properly supported!! Otherwise, we can't use proper RAID with the m.2 cards without definite data loss.. Thanks.

Update: M18X R2 BIOS A11, RAID Orom is v11.6.0.1702....

AW17 R1 BIOS A14 has v12.0.0.1783

AW18 BIOS A10  has v12.0.0.1783 also

So, why does AW17 R2 have v10.0.0.1046?? Possibly just an oversight? Can this be passed on to a Dell Engineer? This makes no sense and it won't allow us to use our M.2 drives in a proper and SAFE RAID without 13.0 or higher. Thanks again!

11 Posts

April 3rd, 2015 11:00

Yeah keep up the good work man , at least someone is trying to actually make a fix. Makes me wonder if they actually have people working on it or do they use free labor from universities and

109 Posts

April 17th, 2015 12:00

Sadly, new BIOS A03 is back to Aptio 5.. I won't be upgrading as I can't modify this BIOS without breaking Secure Boot.. And they didn't add anything I submitted.. In fact, over a month and I've heard nothing. If nothing in A04, I will release my modified A02 with RAID and OC options. I have been stable for a month and no issues reported, and SB works fine using a MSDM table I added to the BIOS for my OEM key of Windows 8.1 (Not from Dell, they gave me 7). So, I have RAID, OC, SLIC2.1 for Windows 7 activation, and MSDM Table for Windows 8.1 activation using purchased keys/TechNet keys. BIOS works great.

I'm not sure why Dell isn't listening.. I've worked with a lot of manufactures with bios's including Asus and they at least get back to me if I need a bigger oprom option or other stuff.. In fact Asus for a P5W-DH years ago gave me the BIOS code to do what I pleased.. Its obvious others are asking for this option for whatever needs, and the system/platform supports it. Not sure why we're not getting any fixes including the throttling after sleep issue some have with their AW15 and AW17R2's, or the broken fan profiles in A02 from A00... (A lot complaining the system runs hot in A02)

Also, the Haswell/Broadwell CPU microcode was updated by Intel from 1C to 1D, this BIOS is still on 1C so I'm not sure why they don't keep the actual BIOS stuff up to date either.. Microcode are patches for bugs found in CPU's they can't just fix so they patch..

11 Posts

April 17th, 2015 12:00

Their ignorant always have been. it would be nice to hear an answer either way. Definitely would like a copy of what you have done once you release it as im not too concerned about warranty. 

11 Posts

April 17th, 2015 13:00

Sounds like everything they do is *** backwards, no recovery options are ridiculous, like you said makes a long wait for the consumer for no reason, and more expensive. Its is a shame they have taken so much functionality out of the machines over the last few generations and basically ignoring every question on any site about it. Why offer 5x drive config if they do not even offer raid to atleast to join them as 1 drive. 

I have no faith in the fact weather or not they will introduce raid again, but will be anxiously waiting your release when available, to hell with their ignorance 

109 Posts

April 17th, 2015 13:00

Yeah, I've noticed.. I've had no issues with CS or technical support.. That's why I still deal with them, but when it comes to the actual hardware support, it seems the engineers don't care about adding functionality..

Once we find the proper BIOS recovery for these machines since its not AMI default, it will be released by myself.. But until we have the proper BIOS recovery steps, I won't release it as I have hardware flashers to fix this, Dell only offers motherboard replacements.. (Not sure why.. A USB Stick with the BIOS recovery would be a lot cheaper on Dell, and less downtime for the consumer..)

109 Posts

April 17th, 2015 19:00

The funny thing is, the recovery IS IN THE BIOS! They just won't tell anyone the proper key sequence to enable it at boot, and if the BIOS file has to be renamed like Phoenix or Insyde BIOS's do.. Like its some big secret, even though most Laptop manufactures explain the process (HP, Toshiba, and ACER have it listed in the technical portals online...)

11 Posts

April 17th, 2015 22:00

I know i don't understand it at all either and any attempt at trying to get an answer, all the responses a guy seems to get from various sites might as well be from Dell PR trolls, trying to feed me the other end of the stick deluding the question i have asked and point i'm trying to make.

1 Why after all this time did you "Dell" take out RAID?
2 Will it be implemented in the future? 

Not very hard questions to answer!

11 Posts

May 2nd, 2015 14:00

Hello dell reps did the engineers decide whether or not they will opt RAID -0? its been 3 months ????

11 Posts

May 15th, 2015 12:00

All i hear is crickets ?

1 Message

June 7th, 2015 02:00

seems nothing till now.  i just updated to A03 to check if they enable the raid.. but i ended in this post and still nothing... AW seems going back for forward.

11 Posts

June 22nd, 2015 17:00

lordzog by any chance are you going to be releasing your bios?

June 29th, 2015 16:00

Any updates on this? It's June 29 and I may be late to the game (received 17 inch today) but of course quickly found out my hands are tied on RAID.

So no RAID for this model? .... I can still return machine for full refund..

1 Message

August 20th, 2015 13:00

LordZog - Awesome work you've done on this!  Hope the Dell engineers are working on it.  I just ordered an AW 17R2 yesterday and stumbled across this forum.  Anything from them yet?  How about BIOS A05 released last month?  Please give us an update on what you know.  Thanks!!!

Atomicbear

2 Posts

December 8th, 2015 13:00

Seems they have got nowhere after 9 months. Would you mind release your unlocked bios somewhere Lord Zog? Really appreciate it !!!

2 Posts

December 8th, 2015 13:00

Are you releasing your unlocked bios by any chance? It's been 9 months since we brought this up and I feel that can't rely on Dell to resolve this for us now.

No Events found!