Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

August 15th, 2017 00:00

Aga and 1080ti wrong screen color external tv at 60hz

Hi, I have alienware a15r2 and the graphics amplifier with latest bios on the laptop. I used to have a gtx980ti in the amplifier that ran fine in my tv at 60hz. But I have just bought a gtx1080ti, and when I output to 60hz, it looks fine on desktop, but as soon as I launch any game fullscreen, the external display (TV) shows all the colors wrong -like a purple and green color. If i change to 30hz its fine but then only get 30fps. I have even tried resetting the tv and also using another graphics card same spec, different model, but I cant make 60hz work. any ideas what could cause this please? I have also removed drivers and reinstalled. I have also made sure steroscopic 3d is off in Nvidia contol panel. As I say, all appeared well with the gtx980ti but the gtx1080ti wont play ball :(

For the record - the cards I have tried are the zotac 1080ti mini, and (currently) MSI Founders edition

August 15th, 2017 09:00

Hi, thanks for the reply, so as I understand, that would be the 980m driver on the Dell a15r2 page? From March 2016? And then when that is installed, connect aga and restart and then install latest nvidia or leave it at that? 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

Hi ‌,

First make sure you have the laptop's video driver installed (latest one from Nvidia), NOT the amplifier's video driver.

Make sure the BIOS is up to date.

Also, you can try a different video port and cable. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

Look for the latest 980m driver on the Nvidia website, install that one and then connect the AGA. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 15th, 2017 14:00

Assuming the new GTX-1080ti card is good, sounds like a driver problem since the HDTV and HDMI-Cable stayed the same.

Is this a 4K TV?

Is the HDMI cable high-quality? Meaning ...

- Heavy gauge wires inside

- Not too long (under 12 ft)

- Plain wires inside (not Redmere or other nonsense)

- Rated for HDMI-v2.0 would be better (even if that means it's "over-rated").

August 15th, 2017 15:00

Ok, so after days of head banging and virgin sacrifices, I've fixed it. It was nothing to do with the aga, or the graphics card, or the hdmi cable. It came down to a setting on the Sony tv that I had enabled 'enhance 4k'. I disabled that and it's all good now. Thing is, this used to be enabled when my gtx980ti was plugged in and there were no issues...

Thanks for the help though , eventually led me down an elimination path

1 Message

August 18th, 2017 09:00

FWIW  I could only get my 4K LG monitor to work with my Nvida 1070 at 60 hz by using the display port connection. At 4 K resolution HDMI was limited to 30hhz on Nvidia's control panel and when changed to 2K at 60hz option appeared. So as an alternate try the native resolution of the TV and see what options you get.

Good Luck

No Events found!