Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 16th, 2014 20:00

Alien FX lighting on non Alienware case?

so I got this idea while looking at the resent R4 alienware alx.

what if one could put that kind of light control into a regular old computer box like my corsair 500R or an antec?

I did a little research and found that the mini motherboard plugs into fan headers and with a little front panel power button and power led work around via http://www.amazon.com/CB-FRPAN-Individually-Sleeved-Speaker-Premium/dp/B003ZDNXZI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330365369&sr=8-1 one can plug the stock case into any motherboard.

this makes me wonder if you simply got all the lights and motherboard parts could you plug the led craziness of alienware into any old pc?

also it there an easier way to do this?

does corsair link have led controller and if so who makes little led strips that I don't have to splice wires from?

with the little knowledge that I have of alienware and of custom pc lighting,  im not the guy to figure this kind of stuff out and I certantly don't have the money laying around to get on ebay and drop $200 on a hunch to figure out if I can get some cool led's onto my computer case. 

also along this thought could a active cooling component be installed as well? I know id basicly have to manufacture all the parts myself but if I could do a simple plug in from my alien fx board to some motor setup like the one the current aurora uses hooked up to some custom (cut out of balsa wood I guess) fins then that would give the same effect without having an actual alienware. 

I know this is getting a bit modish but dosent the theory sound awesome? could one make any computer as cool as an alienware's lights and fins are?

tell me what you think!

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

September 16th, 2014 23:00

IDK about or want to get tied up into a retrofit discussion, but for easy led's w/some class, try the Nzxt HUE & watch any online review; it's a winner, well worth it:

No Events found!