Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 7th, 2012 17:00

Alien Respawn

So since about the 3rd of this month I've had problems with my laptop. I've had it for less than a year. I got rid of the virus I had on it and now it takes a few times for my laptop to boot windows, then windows will sometimes stop and restart. I'm also hearing video ads, but can't see where they're coming from. I did two regular system restores to fix it just to make sure, but the issues are still going on.

Today I decided to try an alienrespawn. I hit restore and after the computer shut down a black screen came up and a gray bar at the bottom loaded with 'windows is still loading files' above it. It's been over an hour and nothing has changed. What should I do?

2.4K Posts

August 7th, 2012 20:00

So since about the 3rd of this month I've had problems with my laptop. I've had it for less than a year. I got rid of the virus I had on it and now it takes a few times for my laptop to boot windows, then windows will sometimes stop and restart. I'm also hearing video ads, but can't see where they're coming from. I did two regular system restores to fix it just to make sure, but the issues are still going on.

Today I decided to try an alienrespawn. I hit restore and after the computer shut down a black screen came up and a gray bar at the bottom loaded with 'windows is still loading files' above it. It's been over an hour and nothing has changed. What should I do?

I have always believed there is only one, 100% sure way to know that you have removed a virus. That is to reinstall the OS from the the CD. It's easy to infect a partition so something like Alien Respawn will just install it right back on the system. Same goes for system restore.

Shut it down, get your Windows disk out and start over.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 7th, 2012 21:00

I have always believed there is only one, 100% sure way to know that you have removed a virus. That is to reinstall the OS from the the CD.

Yes, I agree. This is also what Microsoft tells it's developers ... once the installed OS is compromised, its integrity is questionable.

158 Posts

August 8th, 2012 13:00

Morblore and Tesla have given you good advice, reinstalling the OS is the best way to be certain a virus has been removed.

How to install Windows 7 in an Alienware Computer?

No Events found!