Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

June 27th, 2013 00:00

AlienRespawn keeps crashing when trying to do a data backup

Hi,

Have a new Alienware MX17 R4, I purchased the pro version to do backups to an external harddrive, have managed to do a system backup but I am not able to do a data backup. Two things can happen:

1. I get a green tick against checking system then as soon as it starts the back up at the bottom of the screen I get a message that states the backup has been stopped by the user. Only option is to click Ok .

2. Exactly the same happens as in option 1 but this time when it goes to start the back up I get an error message Dell Backup And Recovery has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

I have checked the logs and against each data entry there is a red cross, I have also checked the folder where I want the data to be backed up and again no data. Even tried to schedule a backup but nothing happens.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3.3K Posts

June 27th, 2013 02:00

Hi TheHelper,

Lets try uninstalling and reinstalling Alien Respawn from programs and features.

Install Alien Respawn from the following link:

http://bit.ly/P8YZ6s

http://bit.ly/14vxZ3D

For more information about Alien Respawn, refer the following link:

http://dell.to/14Z5cHh

Awaiting your response!

7 Posts

June 27th, 2013 03:00

Did exactly what you said and I still get the same error, even tried a different hard drive but no joy.

7 Posts

June 27th, 2013 03:00

Hi Rajesh,

Thanks for the reply, i am just downloading the program again now and will post back with the results in a mo.

3.3K Posts

June 30th, 2013 07:00

Hi TheHelper,

Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling the Alien Respawn?

I have also provided a video below which has steps to install Alien respawn:

http://bit.ly/14vxZ3D

Awaiting your response!

7 Posts

July 1st, 2013 02:00

Yes mate - that,s why I said I did everything you asked me to, followed the video to the letter.

1. Uninstalled program

2. had to restart PC

3. Installed program

4 Restart PC to continue install

5. Tried to data backup and it comes up with the error code (this operation has been cancelled by user) I get this error message when I first try to do a data back up then number 6 happens if I try it again.

6. tried Data backup again and get error message and program shuts down.

Have no idea why it is doing this, it ran a system backup on Sunday but I have no confidence that this has worked, Can't believe I have paid $46 for a program that may or may not have backed up 50% of what I want it to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

3.3K Posts

July 2nd, 2013 11:00

Hi TheHelper,

May I know the Operating system installed on the computer?

Kindly send me a screen shot of the error message.

To which port are you connecting the external hard drive and also, let me know the brand and specifications of the external hard drive.

Awaiting your response!

7 Posts

July 4th, 2013 16:00

Hi Rajest,

Windows 8 pre installed

Have tried all 4 ports and different hard drives but get the same result, at present I am using a WD My Passport 2GB USB 3/2.

Image 1 shows that a data backup has never been done

0550.Screen 1.jpg

Image 2 is what happens when I try to do a data backup, it starts but after about 30 secs I get this screen with the error at the bottom, can only click OK to get back to image 1

3858.Screen 2.jpg

Then I try doing a data back up again and I get this error message that only lets me close the program

7532.Screen 3.jpg

Then I am back to the start, if I try doing a data back up after image 3 I always get this error message and have to close the program, I only get the Image 2 error message (cancelled by user) on first starting the laptop or after restarting it.

Thanks again

Dave

835 Posts

July 8th, 2013 12:00

Hi Dave,

Does it stop at the same point every time?

How big is the back up? if it's more thatn 4GB then right click on the external HDD and select "Properties" and check the  if the File System is "FAT32", if that's the case, right click on the external HDD and format it to "NTFS" and try again.

Let us know how it goes.

7 Posts

July 9th, 2013 02:00

Hi Natalia J,

1. Yes it stops at the same place.

2. Have tried different size data back ups, adding and deleting files to see if that works.

3. External drive is NTFS as are all my drives so I do not have the 4GB limit of Fat32.

What I do not understand is it says that it has done a system/complete backup, the files are there 570GB I am worried though on how good there integrity is and do not want to give them a go just in case they do not work . I have tried to do the data backup on the same drive and then others all with the same result.

Regards

Dave

835 Posts

July 9th, 2013 15:00

Hi Dave,

What are the brands of all the HDD's that you've tried to use?

7 Posts

July 10th, 2013 00:00

Hi Natalia J,

Final I have fixed it, unsure what did it but I kept doing data backups on different drives plugged into different USB ports on the laptop after many unsuccessful attempts I did a successful data back up to the C drive. Not good if the system goes down and I have to rebuild, I then tried the WD hard drive and hey presto it worked. I am now going to shut the whole thing down just to try it again to make sure it was not a fluke, if you here no more from me then take that as a OK. many thanks for trying to help me.

Dave  

No Events found!