Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 24th, 2014 09:00

Alienrespawn "failure to access"(?)

After a recent harddrive failure I am wanting to use Alienrespawn (Ar) to create a recovery disk.  I used a Dell provided Windows 8 installation disk, which did create a number of partitions on the HD (presumably one of them being a recovery partition).  The first time I ran Ar it reported improper version (ie., 1.4).

I went to the Dell support website, and for my Svc code it failed to run the online diagnostic, reporting "encounted a problem, please try again", which I did numerous times with the same result ...

So much for Dell indicating the appropriate version of Ar, so I went to the Ar website and downloaded v.1.7.  It seemed to install properly but upon re-starting and running Ar it went immediately into a state that implied it was finishing the installation.  After a few minutes and during the first phase it reported "failure to access", and then clicking on "Finish" proceeded to uninstall Alienrespawn(?!?!)  I ran it from an administer's account.

Edit: I ran Windows 8.1 "Create Recovery drive" and its option to copy the recovery partition was greyed out.  This is supposed to mean a recovery drive is not available.  But if I use Disk Management to inspect the system drive (C) it shows 3 partitions (1) healthy EFI System partition (260Mb), (2) Healthy "boot, ..., primary" NTFS partition (930Gb), and (3) Healthy Recovery partition (450MB).

Please advise ...

TIA  :)

Dell Alienware X51, Windows 8.1

• 

2.7K Posts

October 24th, 2014 12:00

I will recommend you to reinstall windows 8 one more time just make sure you format all the partitions you see when the tool asks you “where do you want to install windows”.

Then after installing all of the drivers download and install the latest Alienrespawn program so you can create the recovery disk  

No Events found!