Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

February 20th, 2016 00:00

Alienware 13 Black Screen after changing BIOS Express Charge to Normal Charge

So I was just looking at what's in the bios, waiting for my X51 to finalize the windows 10 november update(automatic updates would fail and I finally decided to use media creation tool to finally update the system)

I noticed in the BIOS of my 13 that the system was set to express charge. So I change that to normal charge, save settings, then restart system and all I get is a black screen with my normal backlit keyboard and the HDD indicator flashes every couple seconds, but not in the same pattern.

After seeing these settings I see that express may cause a faster battery failure rate, so obviously I'm going to disable the shady default setting and change it to normal.

Well after about 10 hard shut downs it finally went to the desktop, but bluetooth wasn't showing up on the taskbar(meaning it's also not showing up in device manager). This computer was working perfectly until this stupid change to the charging settings, but how does that affect boot up?

Another hard reset got the desktop to show, but bluetooth still not showing up at all. Going to reinstall drivers

February 22nd, 2016 09:00

Have you tried loading the BIOS defaults?

13 Posts

February 22nd, 2016 10:00

got the computer to boot a few times normally then it acted up again today at work. I had to do a reinstall, deleting apps, but keep files. Seems to be running fine now, but we'll see how that goes.

I did not try to load defaults before, but if I did it would revert charging back to express and that is bad for the battery and no one should have that enabled, but Dell insists.

February 22nd, 2016 11:00

It's good to hear that the machine is doing fine now. 

No Events found!