Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 28th, 2016 16:00

Alienware 14 Touchpad Peeling - Runaround from Phone Support

I have an Alienware 14 Laptop from late 2013. 

Right around the time that the warranty started going out, I noticed some grime around the right edge of the touchpad. I thought it might have been sweat or dirt, so I started picking it off. Little did I know that it was actually the surface of the touchpad peeling off. By the time I figured this out, I have peeled off a decent amount of gunk from the right side of the touchpad. Since doing this, the scroll feature (which utilizes the right side of the touchpad) intermittently ceases to function.

I never thought to contact tech support, because nobody else seemed to be having the issue at the time, as far as I could tell.

In the last few days, I've been using my Alienware (after leaving it on a shelf for the past 7 or 8 months due to my new desktop and the fact that my company laptop has, until recently, been my go-to). With just general mousing around, the coating in the center of the touchpad has begun to peel. It inhibits finger movement and has flaky responsiveness. 

I have called tech support several times, and have gotten bounced between multiple sales and tech departments. I am so sick of this disgusting, over-priced, poorly-serviced laptop. 

I hate to make threats, but I hope that someone from Dell / Alienware can help me with this issue. If not, I will be taking my very generous laptop budget elsewhere, and will spread my discontent for Alienware and its poorly made products among my friends and co-workers in the (tech) service industry. Furthermore, seeing as how I am in charge of purchasing new computers and server technology for my employer, I will make sure that Dell never sees another dollar of our budget again. 

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

January 29th, 2016 14:00

Hi, 

We are sorry to hear about the inconvenience. Were you able to contact the Sales department? What did they advise you?

2 Posts

January 29th, 2016 19:00

I contacted sales and they told me that I would have to send my laptop in to have the touchpad fixed. 

I asked how much that would cost, and I was not quoted a price, and was told that I needed to talk to tech support. The sales person directed my call back to the root phone system, where the automated voice asked if I needed sales or tech support. This time I said tech support, and after waiting for 10 or 15 minutes, an automated voice said "You have been disconnected. Goodbye".

I haven't been quoted a price. Before this call with sales, I had contacted tech support, and they said that I could purchase a touchpad replacement and install it myself. However when I contacted sales (as stated above) they are telling me that I have to send the laptop in, and that it is a tech support issue, not a sales issue.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

February 1st, 2016 13:00

Hi,

Send me your Service Tag in a PM so we can look into this.

February 1st, 2016 14:00

mines peeling too. thought I was the only one.

No Events found!