Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 7th, 2014 04:00

Alienware 14 wont play dvd movies

My 10 month old alienware 14 wont play dvds movies it will play dvd media disks and game disks but wont play dvd movies when i try to set an auto play there isnt even dvd player to auto play. the matshita dvd drive is supposedly working and up to date, its not the optical drive or i wouldnt be able to play media and cd's ugh 1400 and i cant even play a dvd. i wish i had tried to play dvds earlier but the fist time i tried to play a dvd was today cause my husband didnt want to watch what i wanted i usually just stream im disappointed in alienware.

1.8K Posts

May 7th, 2014 11:00

Hi gezzka,

If the drive works with CD but not DVD discs, it might be a software issue. I recommend you try the troubleshooting steps on this video.

Let me know how it goes!

8 Posts

May 8th, 2014 00:00

i did what the video said but when i get to upper and lower filters there is none for me to delete so i obviously couldnt go any farther.

1.8K Posts

May 8th, 2014 11:00

I just read your first post again and you mentioned you didn't have a DVD player installed. For DVD movies, you need to have a DVD player like PowerDVD or VLC installed. 

8 Posts

May 8th, 2014 11:00

So let me understand I paid 1400 plus tax around 1700 for a computer and now have to pay anywhere from 50-100 bucks to play DVDs ?

1.8K Posts

May 8th, 2014 14:00

If you ordered your Alienware with PowerDVD, you can download it from My Dell Downloads. If not you can purchase it or download a different software such as VLC which is for free.

8 Posts

May 8th, 2014 15:00

i don't know what it came with because i cant get my computer registered with my downloads it doesn't do anything it doesn't ask to analyze my service tag. and my husband bought this from his work for me so i don't know what came on it.

166 Posts

VLC is free, and is an excellent player, although you might have to download one of the (also free) codec packs on the right side of the screen.

http://www.videolan.org

VLC is a great player and usually better than the ones provided by manufacturers, and M$.

1.8K Posts

Go to the Support website and enter your Service Tag to check your order details. 

No Events found!