Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 6th, 2016 03:00

Alienware 15 R2 power supply or battery failing?

Hi All,

For recent couple of weeks, my Alienware 15 R2 is experiencing some faults.

although my power is plugged in, but in the bottom left bar the battery icon shifts between plugged in and unplugged every few second, especially while i play games. and during gaming the battery will go down even with power supply plugged. 

I have updated both BIOS and video card driver to the latest.

Is this a common issue? or just my power supply is broken?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

July 6th, 2016 18:00

Hi,

There is a Dell feature called Desktop Mode, created to protect the longevity of the battery by preventing the charge to get to a 100% and also it tends to divert all the power to the video card . You can disable this feature. Right click your battery icon in the system tray, select "desktop mode battery" and disable the option.

Let me know how it goes!

July 9th, 2016 06:00

Hi Eimy,

I have tried that, and the problem still there, i guess it might be a hardware problem?

I am in Melbourne, is there some place i can go to have someone check it out?

July 9th, 2016 22:00

Unplug the battery and just run on the cord and see what happens

July 10th, 2016 05:00

Hi Winter0star, alienware battery seems to be screwed in, and seems like need to remove the whole back of the laptop to get access the battery, not sure i should do that?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

July 12th, 2016 08:00

Send me a PM with the service tag

1 Message

July 12th, 2016 10:00

Hi Eimy,

I'm having same problem with my alienware 15 R2 which is only 6 month old, at first the battery can not be identified on startup, I did the bios update, It will be detected but will drain fast. I cant also unplug the battery cuz I need to practically disassemble everything. thanks

July 13th, 2016 23:00

Hi, how to PM you?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

July 14th, 2016 11:00

Hi retsamed019,

How fast?

No Events found!