Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 15th, 2015 05:00

Alienware 15 Warranty

I was just wondering in regard to the Alienware 15 laptops. One I recently bought only comes with a hard drive , if I want to open the back port and install an M2 ssd will it void my warranty ?

Also will installing an alternative OS and dual booting with Linux void my warranty?

Thank you

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

October 15th, 2015 10:00

Hi, 

Opening the system and removing/installing parts, does not void the warranty. However, we cannot cover any hardware issues related to third party replacement/upgrade parts. As far the operating system, you warranty applies to the original configuration including the operating system that came with the system. If you install Linux, it will not void the warranty but we cannot cover any issues related to the operating system. 

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

October 15th, 2015 11:00

If you remove our HDD and install the M2 SSD and our shipped hardware still functions, the warranty is intact for our shipped hardware.

If you remove our HDD and during the installation of the M2 SSD, you break our shipped hardware, we would not cover this. Example, you broke the HDD connection on the motherboard, we would not cover this.

The warranty is still intact if you install Linux, but, we will not attempt to troubleshoot any Linux issues or lack of Linux drivers.

2 Posts

October 16th, 2015 03:00

Thank you for you assistance, I've found a video to aid with the M2 SSD installation [View:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ-MJbm0QBA:550:0] 

No Events found!