Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 26th, 2016 22:00

Alienware 15 high disk usage and blue screen of death.

Hi everyone

I purchased an Alienware 15 in November of 2015 and I have had nothing but problems with it ever since. To make a long story short, I have had to have a brand new laptop shipped out to me and the hard drive of my current laptop replaced. After the hard drive was replaced, things went smoothly until about a week or two ago. Around that time, the disk usage in my laptop began to spike. Occasionally it would be as low as 2 or 3% but it was more often in the high 90's or even at 100% usage. This has made my laptop virtually unusable as even simple actions like navigating the internet cause my computer to freeze. I've tried all the solutions I can find online. I've disabled programs that supposedly cause this problem and turned off windows notifications. All of these have helped but not stopped the problem.

Even worse then that, my laptop totally crashes at least twice a day. The Blue Screen of Death error that appears usually vanishes before I can read it. I only managed to read it once, and it said 'Critical System Failure'. Whenever it restarts, the computer always immediately goes to a black screen. The screen is blank except for a few words in small font that say something like 'No Bootable device detected.' When I restart my computer, it boots back onto Windows (Albeit slowly).

Can someone please help me figure out what is going on? I am at my wits end. If I have to contact Alienware again, I would like to have some answers so that any troubleshooting can be finished quickly.

Thank you in advance (and sorry for the bad grammar!).

314 Posts

August 27th, 2016 03:00

did you upgrade to latest version of windows 10 (anniversary update)? high disk usage is due to that stupid windows indexing. turn that off. use dell support software and find out what's causing the bsod and disable that service too.

No Events found!