Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 2nd, 2014 22:00

Alienware 17 - Integrated Graphics Not Detected in BIOS - Can't Switch to Integrated Graphics Card

As the title says, I own an Alienware 17, bought around November of 2013. My NVidia GeForce GTX 770M works like a champ. But I cannot switch to the integrated graphics card (should be Intel HD Graphics 4600). I've tried (many times) the Fn+F5. It says that it's "optimal". Tried with the laptop both plugged in and not plugged in. I've looked at the Device Manager, and there is only one Display Adapter listed (NVidia). I then booted to the BIOS and it says "Integrated Graphics - Not Detected". I have the latest BIOS available on the support website.

Not sure what to do at this point. I should have integrated as well as discrete, but only discrete is detected. I want to be able to switch over to the Intel card, so that I can mess around with things like Intel WiDi, and also want to NOT run my NVidia card all the time, and because I'm not playing games all the time.

Any ideas? Any support personnel out there that can help me out?

May 2nd, 2014 22:00

Whelp... I think I might have answered my own question... My laptop has the 120 Hz 3D display option. Because of this, the "Optimus" technology is not available (I think I'm saying that right), and so I cannot switch to the Intel graphics card because of the way the 3D display is wired. There is a YouTube video I just saw that explains the whole thing (link below).

"Alienware 17 with 120Hz 3D Display Has No Integrated Graphics":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ3IRvCkllg

So... Not sure that I'm too happy with Dell right now. One of the perks I was looking forward to was to be able to switch the cards, and play with some of the features of the Intel card, particularly WiDi. When I bought the laptop, I wasn't made aware that I would lose functionality by upgrading the display to get the 3D option. Would have been nice to know, so that I could know what the tradeoffs are.

3 Posts

July 5th, 2014 02:00

I just want to underline the same issue:

It would have been really really important and nice to know that you loose the integrated gpu.

In fact - even with a nearly black screen the battery duration is really really bad without the energy-safing graphics adapter 

1 Message

July 28th, 2014 20:00

Hi all! I think I have an opposite problem. My internal graphic card Intel works, but GeForce died. What I need to do?
No Events found!