Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 4th, 2014 01:00

Alienware 17-R1, Nvidia graphics card was not detected

My Alienware 17 laptop no longer recognizes its nVidia 780M graphics card. I'm not aware of any software changes or updates that could have caused this. There have been no hardware changes.

Attempts to use the NVIDIA Control Panel cause a pop-up:
"NVIDIA Display settings are not available"
"An NVIDIA graphics card was not detected in your system."

Device Manager only shows the Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 under Display adapters. Expanding all items in Device Manager, I see no warning or error icons, and none with nVidia in the name.

BIOS shows "Discrete Graphics 1" as "[Not Detected]".

Attempts to install a nVidia graphics driver results in error:
"NVIDIA Installer cannot continue"
"This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware"

In my attempts to resolve this, I have:
- Tried a couple System Restore points
- Un-installed the Intel HD Graphics 4600 driver, deleting driver from system
- Updated BIOS (A05 -> A08 -> A09)
- Updated Chipset Drivers
- Installed the Intel HD Graphics 4600 driver
- Fn-F5 (I/D Gfx), chose Yes (enable and reboot) (multiple times, checking after each)
- Re-seated graphics card.

None of this activity has helped: the nVidia graphics card is still not detected.

Anything else I should try?

System: Alienware 17
O/S: Windows 8.1 64-bit (Build 9600)
CPU: Intel I7 4900MQ
Video Card: NVidia 780M
BIOS A09

1 Message

October 24th, 2014 07:00

Thanks Guys,

Above mentioned Procedures worked for me and my NVIDIA Card is now working just fine.

Cheers

1.8K Posts

May 5th, 2014 14:00

Hi!

Could you access the BIOS (press F2 repeatedly at start-up) to confirm if the NVIDIA card is detected there?

If not, please run an ePSA diagnostic and send me the results on a private message, along with you Service Tag, contact information and link to this thread. 

11 Posts

May 5th, 2014 23:00

BIOS reports "Discrete Graphics 1" is "[Not Detected]"

ePSA reports "All tests passed.". No error codes were reported.

Service tag and contact info provided via private message.

3 Posts

June 13th, 2014 09:00

I'm having the exact same issue with my nVidia GeForce 770M.

Did you ever get this resolved?

It also started while doing a fresh install of Windows 8 and now I can't get my dedicated graphics working. I've reinstalled Windows 8 a ridiculous number of times now.

1.8K Posts

June 13th, 2014 14:00

Hi neocotic!

Have you completed the same troubleshooting steps above (check BIOS, use FN+F5, re-install drivers, run ePSA)? Or have you done any troubleshooting of your own?

3 Posts

June 13th, 2014 14:00

I had tried lots of things (included all of the same troubleshooting mentioned above). Now, miraculously, after doing absolutely nothing at all, the device has appeared again. I'm just installing the latest nVidia drivers on it and then I'm going to attempt to update to Windows 8.1 again, which I'm sure is what triggered this in the first place.

At least this proves, to me at least, that this is unrelated to a recent BIOS update I performed. However, I wonder if updating to Windows 8.1 (which now means you're forced straight to Windows 8.1 Update 1) will trigger this issue again.

I was using Windows 8.1 for a long time with no problems with the graphics card, but I kept getting failed automatic updates (presumably for Update 1) and each time caused my profile to become corrupt. So I reset my PC in an attempt to get Windows 8.1 Update 1 installed. It worked, except that this problem then developed and even further resets didn't fix it.

11 Posts

June 15th, 2014 15:00

neocotic: regarding your initial question to me: nope, not yet resolved

3 Posts

June 16th, 2014 02:00

As I expected, when I updated to Windows 8.1 (Updated 1), my graphics device suddenly disappeared again after seeing an error (VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR) during the update. However, the update still proceeded and everything except for the nVidia graphics worked fine. In previous attempts at this (and there were many) I tried lots of the same steps as you, however, this time I simply did nothing and let the laptop sit. After a few hours I noticed the screen flickering and then the device magically reappeared in the Device Manager. I jumped on the opportunity and installed the latest nVidia drivers (touch wood) it's still there. I've not attempted gaming yet though.

This is by no means ideal and I'd love to know what's causing the error during the Windows 8.1 update and why the device just disappears.

2 Posts

July 3rd, 2014 14:00

.... Card not recognized in bios... upgraded bios from A8 to A11 and nothing still. I've tried everything I can... system restore is not an option for me.

1.8K Posts

July 3rd, 2014 16:00

.... Card not recognized in bios... upgraded bios from A8 to A11 and nothing still. I've tried everything I can... system restore is not an option for me.

Hi srothell,

What Alienware model do you own?

Try the function keys Fn+F7 or Fn+F5 to switch between integrated and discrete graphics card (if applicable).

2 Posts

July 3rd, 2014 17:00

AW 17, and like I said before, I've tried everything I can.

1.8K Posts

July 7th, 2014 10:00

Please run an ePSA diagnostic and send me a private message with your Service Tag and contact information so I can assist you further.

July 11th, 2014 07:00

Same issue here. Followed all the steps mentioned here, installed windows 8 several times, changed fn + f5, but my card is not detected in the bios. Whats going on here ?

1.8K Posts

July 11th, 2014 12:00

Same issue here. Followed all the steps mentioned here, installed windows 8 several times, changed fn + f5, but my card is not detected in the bios. Whats going on here ?

Hi kaiserpunk,

If you've completed all the troubleshooting steps and the issue persists, most likely the video card has failed and needs to be replaced.

If the system is in warranty, the replacement can be covered. For further assistance, I recommend you get in touch with Technical Support in your region or send me a private message with your Service Tag if you're in the US or Canada. 

1 Message

September 2nd, 2014 21:00

I have the same problem. My nvidia graphics are not being detected.

the only one is the integrated graphics

Can someone help me!!!

No Events found!