Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 14th, 2016 20:00

Alienware 17 R2 - Windows 10 issue

Hello everyone,

Ok so, i'll take a chance here too...

I'm an Alienware 17 R2 owner - i7-4710hq / 16 gb / 120 gb ssd / 1tb hdd / gtx980m / ...

I installed Windows 10 and ran on a weird issue: As usual, i install my OS on my ssd and all other size demanding softwares/files on the hdd (steam, battle.net, user folders, windows temps, etc.). Once steam is installed and a game is downloading (around 10-15 mb/sec), the internal hdd simply disconnects ! Randomly ! If i run a game (fallout 4 for example) and start downloading a game (wow on battle.net), same thing, the hdd disconnects... What i found tho is that when my power settings are on high performance, this never happens ! played with few settings in the power settings, but nothing changed.

I then came back to Windows 8.1 to see if this would happen also, everything ran fine... Went back to 10 ! Same issue...

I finally reinstalled W8.1...

Does anyone of you guys ran in the same issue ? Anyone have an idea ?

Thank you very much for your time.

Forgive my english, i'm French :P

July 15th, 2016 14:00

Hi MongooZ,

Have you checked that the HDD is correctly installed? Also, if this happens both in Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 it is possible that the problem has to do with hardware. You can also run an ePSA (diagnostics) test by turning your system and pressing the F12 key, that will show you the status of your system's hardware.

3 Posts

July 15th, 2016 19:00

Hello Kevin !

Thank you for you response. Actually the problem occurs only on Windows 10. I just finished running the diagnostics (with f12) and ePSA says no problems found. I Also runned the full one just to be sure.

I'm gonna try suggestions but now that i know that it's definitely WIndows 10, i'm going to reinstall it and try to find out with communities suggestions :)

Forgot to mention i also called microsoft to see on their side if they heard about this issue and after spending 1 hour on the phone with him and shadowing on my laptop to try change some power settings, i gave up telling him i'm just going back to w8.1 :-/

Have any suggestions?

Thank you for your time !

No Events found!