Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 8th, 2016 22:00

Alienware 17 R3 Drivers Installation Order, Windows 10

I understand that this question has been asked many times by many people, but I have been experiencing issues and wish to reconfirm the latest installation order to identify if I have a drivers related issues.

Kindly provide me the driver list in installation order based on the names of the drivers on the support page as it will be easier for me to understand.

Thank you

276 Posts

August 9th, 2016 04:00

I have a 17R3 and I used the Installation Order suggested by the Dell support page, with no issues.

HOWEVER I do not use the Dell graphics drivers; I used the Display Driver Uninstall utility and installed the drivers direct from Intel and from Nvidia, and continue to update from those sources as Dell was so far behind in the early release of Skylake and Windows 10.

And you are going to be updating your graphics drivers regularly so it probably doesn't matter where in the order you update them.

(BTW when installing direct from Nvidia, I don't install all the other stuff (GeForce Experience, servers etc) that I will never use. Same with the Dell stuff, I don't bother with anything uneccessary

I also removed the Dell networking drivers and use the driver direct from Rivet, have had no problems with networking since doing that.

It is possible that all current drivers from Dell are now fine, but at the end of last year, they were pretty useless.

See en.community.dell.com/.../19659262 and some of my other posts.

276 Posts

August 8th, 2016 22:00

If you go to the support/driver page for your service tag, you will see there are several ways of listing the drivers available.

One of these is Installation Order.

10 Posts

August 9th, 2016 01:00

Thank you for the reply.

I have tried doing so. I realize there a number of people who state on forums that we should install the chipset driver first. To put it simply, their installation order is slightly different.

But, on the Support/Driver Page, it insists quite a number of drivers before the chipset driver. The list shown on the page is as listed below;

1. Intel(R) Thunderbolt(TM) Controller Driver

2. Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver and Management Console

3. Creative Sound Blaster Recon3Di Extras Driver

4. Intel HD Graphics Driver

5.  Killer Wireless-AC 1535 Driver

6. Intel Thunderbolt Controller Driver

7. Killer Ethernet E2400 Driver

8. Nvidia Driver

9. Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Driver

10. Intel Management Engine Interface Driver

11. Kionix KXCNL Freefall Sensor Driver

12. Synaptics Touchpad Driver

13. Intel Chipset Device Driver

14. Killer Wireless-AC 1535 Bluetooth Driver

15. Dell Airplane Mode Switch Driver

16. Realtek RTS5227 Card Reader Driver

Kindly verify that the list provided on the Support/Driver Page when 'Installation Order' is clicked, is correct and shall prevent me from having any driver issues.

10 Posts

August 9th, 2016 01:00

Thank you for the reply.

I have tried doing so. I realize there a number of people who state on forums that we should install the chipset driver first. To put it simply, their installation order is slightly different.

But, on the Support/Driver Page, it insists quite a number of drivers before the chipset driver. The list shown on the page is as listed below;

1. Intel(R) Thunderbolt(TM) Controller Driver

2. Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver and Management Console

3. Creative Sound Blaster Recon3Di Extras Driver

4. Intel HD Graphics Driver

5.  Killer Wireless-AC 1535 Driver

6. Intel Thunderbolt Controller Driver

7. Killer Ethernet E2400 Driver

8. Nvidia Driver

9. Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Driver

10. Intel Management Engine Interface Driver

11. Kionix KXCNL Freefall Sensor Driver

12. Synaptics Touchpad Driver

13. Intel Chipset Device Driver

14. Killer Wireless-AC 1535 Bluetooth Driver

15. Dell Airplane Mode Switch Driver

16. Realtek RTS5227 Card Reader Driver

Kindly verify that the list provided on the Support/Driver Page when 'Installation Order' is clicked, is correct and shall prevent me from having any driver issues

10 Posts

August 9th, 2016 19:00

Thank you hindesite. I have followed your advice.

I am using a Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB NVMe SSD as my boot drive.

I realize that I get a long black screen whenever I reboot after installing the Samsung NVMe Driver.

Prior to installing that driver, it reboots very fast. Any idea?

Without the Samsung NVMe driver, I'm only getting half my Read speed and tad bit lower Write speed.

I also do not see the 950 Pro in the bios.

276 Posts

August 9th, 2016 21:00

My system came with the Samsung 851 installed as the boot drive, boots OK; but is possible cause of other issues.

Suggest you post a question specific to the Pro 950, there are several others in this forum with direct experience with that drive in this system, and they'll be more likely to see your post.

No Events found!