Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

June 8th, 2016 04:00

Alienware 17 R3 pro tips.

My pc has not crashed for a while now. Due to windows update and drivers maturity, especially the intel 530 graphic card. Just update my bios to 14 yesterday. Keep up the good job Alienware.

A pro tips for you 17 R3 owners, check for drivers update occasionally. Also go to device manager and update all of your drivers. There are tons of available drivers.

Screenshot (63).png

276 Posts

June 8th, 2016 15:00

My pc has not crashed for a while now. Due to windows update and drivers maturity, especially the intel 530 graphic card. Just update my bios to 14 yesterday. Keep up the good job Alienware.

A pro tips for you 17 R3 owners, check for drivers update occasionally. Also go to device manager and update all of your drivers. There are tons of available drivers.

Screenshot (63).png

Well, here's mine. Regular but random crashes approximately weekly, all drivers always up to date (from Intel and Nvidia, not Dell) and latest bios. Pretty frustrating but I don't see how this can be a hardware problem, and obviously what works for you, does not work for everybody :-(

issues.png

314 Posts

June 9th, 2016 08:00

i used to have those crashes, what you need to do is to find out what is causing the system crash and disable it.

i remember months ago, Cortana was crashing my system so i disabled it permanently. Also nvidia shiled cause my system to crash. so i uncheck "allow this pc to steam games to shield devices." in nvidia geforce experience program.

just use this dell supportassist program, when system crash, findout what's causing the crash and disable that service. 

276 Posts

June 10th, 2016 00:00

i used to have those crashes, what you need to do is to find out what is causing the system crash and disable it.

Ya think? :-)

Look, I've been dealing with this issue for months; Windows just stops in its tracks, no dump file, no error message, no logging. Not a single clue as to what is causing the problem, anywhere.

i remember months ago, Cortana was crashing my system so i disabled it permanently. Also nvidia shiled cause my system to crash. so i uncheck "allow this pc to steam games to shield devices." in nvidia geforce experience program.

I have Cortana disabled as a matter of course, since it isn't fully functional in my region anyway.

When I install the Nvidia drivers, I remove all the unnecessary Nvidia stuff, including Experience and Shield; all the background processes and unnecessary servers are uninstalled. There's a few articles online that make suggestions about what is not necessary, and there is a lot that most people do not need to have running in the background.

just use this dell supportassist program, when system crash, findout what's causing the crash and disable that service. 

And Support Assist, even when it isn't causing problems directly (all that seems to be fixed), is still dependent on the Windows logging and dump files, so doesn't give me any information at all.

It might seem straightforward, but it isn't, not for every body.

The general trend has been good - crashes and freezes becoming less frequent with driver updates, but now has plateaued at about one every 6-9 days, and hasn't improved from there.

No Events found!