Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

April 4th, 2015 05:00

Alienware 17 Screen Flicker

Hey all

I've been having a few issues with my Alienware laptop (Jan 2014) as for the past few weeks the screen has been flickering. 

The flicker is like a horizontal white/multicoloured rainbow stripes which flicker across the whole screen, it never goes completely black, but it has got worse and becoming unusable. 

I opened the BIOS and there was still flickering so, does that imply this is a hardware issue? I am a bit lost with this so any help would be much appreciated. 

Also I presume as my warranty was only a year Dell(ended Jan 15) that Dell won't help me?

Thanks

727 Posts

April 4th, 2015 10:00

Dell might help, but you'll have to pay a (hefty) fee.

If you connect your laptop to an external monitor, do you see the abnormalities on the external monitor? 

April 4th, 2015 12:00

Hey man 

Thanks for your quick response. 

When I connect it up to an external monitor the flickering stops, there is no flickering on the Alienware screen or the external monitor. 

In addition I've also noticed that when I restart my machine, there is no flickering once it's booted up again. It seems to be that once I close the lid and it's been in sleep, then opened I have the flickering issue. Not sure if this is relevant but thought I'd add it in case. 

Thanks agin

April 13th, 2015 12:00

Hey guys

After not having much success in figuring out what was causing my screen flicker, I re installed Windows from the factory settings from the partition. Unfortunately i'm still getting the flicker. Would it now be fair to say this is a hardware issue, like a physical problem with the screen or the cables?

Thanks

No Events found!