Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 18th, 2015 22:00

Alienware 17 Strange Audio Issue

I have an Alienware 17 Laptop with Windows 7 that I purchased back in August. It has a very strange sound issue. When 3 or more audio sources are playing (even if they are muted in the background, or muted in the audio mixer), any additional sources of audio will play with quieter sound, and with noticeably worse quality. This is very noticeable when playing a game and trying to switch between YouTube videos and Twitch streams, I have to make sure to close out or pause enough of them to have normal audio. Even the Windows Sounds, such as the brief sound you hear when clicking a different volume level, is noticeably worsened until you close other applications playing audio.

I have reinstalled audio drivers, updated the BIOS, but to no avail. I have also tried different settings in the Dolby and Alienware audio options. This issue has been persistent since I bought the laptop. I don't notice the problem on my USB headset.

What should I do?

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

April 21st, 2015 14:00

You can check in playback devices to make sure the speakers are set to default. To access playback devices right click on the speaker icon on the bottom right corner of the taskbar. Also check the properties section under the level category, make sure the bar is set to %100 so that there are no limitations on the audio.

To do this just right click on the speakers option in playback devices and click properties. There could be a program installed that us causing a conflict with the audio. You can try running an Alien Respawn to rule out that possibility.

This will launch the recovery partition in your Hard Drive and restore the system to factory settings, make sure you back up your information first before doing this. Click here for a link which explains in detail how to perform an Alien Respawn restore.

Please let us know if this works. 

No Events found!