Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 5th, 2014 20:00

Alienware 17 crashing with Dota 2

I just purchased a new Alienware 17 Laptop. Came in 2 days ago, first thing I did with the computer was install steam, skype, and Dota 2. Second time i started dota the computer crashed to a blue screen and then immediately restarted. 2 days later it now has crashed multiple times. Seems to only happen with dota but then again I haven't used the computer much other than to play games. I have updated the video drivers and it still happens. Any suggestions?

Computer specs:

Windows 7

intel i7

graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 770M with 3GB GDDR5

memory: 16GB DDR3L at 1600MHz (2 x 8G) 

hard drive: 750GB SATA 6Gb/s (7,200 RPM)

Computer had this problem only a few hours after I first started it.. only things I had installed or changed was adding Steam/Skype/Dota 2. 

Thanks,

1 Message

March 31st, 2015 10:00

Exactly the same problem is happening with my Alienware 17. If Dota isn't crashing which it will do without fail 2-4 times when starting a game in dota it is blue screening or freezing. This problem has persisted for well over 3 months. Initially I thought it was a bug in dota but after numerous updates and re-installs nothing seems to have solved the problem. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to fix this?

The pc works normally when used for operations other than gaming.

Computer specs:

Windows 8.1

i7 2.7GHz

16GB DDR3L

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M

3GB GDDR5

• 

2.7K Posts

April 1st, 2015 15:00

I will recommend you to uninstall all the Nvidia drivers you find in the control panel, restart the system then go to Nvidia website and download the latest WHQL driver you find and install it.

If the issue persists try to get the blue screen error code and get back to us.

5 Posts

April 1st, 2015 15:00

Justin I spent weeks trying to fix this. I reinstalled the Nvidia drivers twice. Also did a hard factory reset. Spent days on the phone with customer support since I bought the machine for the sole reason to play games (namely dota2). Unfortunately I dont remember what blue screen codes it was throwing.. but the technical support couldnt do anything after I got them anyways. Eventually the only answer they could tell me was that it had to be an issue with dota2 and not the computer. Luckily this all happened within the first month of buying the machine so I returned it. Used the money to buy an Alienware Aurora desktop and I havent had a single blue screen since. I made sure that I got a different video card (Nvidia GeForce GTX 780). Dota2 runs great. I know this doesnt help you with fixing it but I've been exactly where you are and it was frustrating enough to make me return the computer. 

No Events found!