Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

June 8th, 2015 10:00

Alienware 17 (mid 2013) and Windows 10

Does anyone know if the Alienware 17 (mid 2013) laptop will have updated drivers for Windows 10? I don't want to install windows 10 without actually knowing if the drivers will be updated for compatibility. I checked on the drivers and downloads page for my system but all it says is "Microsoft Windows" without actually specifying the windows compatibility version. Thanks in advance to whoever can help! :-)

Edit: Apparently the windows 10 app notification has a "check your PC" option. Two things are listed as a device that may not work correctly after the update.

They are:

Bluetooth Server

Intel Corporation

Does anyone know if these things will be updated to work with windows 10 before the update occurs?

Also, can anyone confirm if alienware command center will still function with windows 10? I would really appreciate a more specific way to check compatibility then this vague pc checker.

• 

2.7K Posts

June 9th, 2015 11:00

We may have drivers for windows 10 for your system but we will need to wait until the official launch (July 29) in order to confirm this. 

14 Posts

June 12th, 2015 18:00

I'm assuming this applies to the Alienware 18 (mid-2013).  The Windows 10 icon (pre-register) appeared on my desktop (as it likely did for most Windows users) and the checks didn't find much at issue and what it did find had nothing to do with the operating system and its drivers.  I don't, however, want to install Win10 and then have Dell say my extended warranty is zip.  I would expect Dell to be working on any driver upgrades well before the release of Win10.

July 5th, 2015 03:00

Who cares about 10?   Windows 7 is all that matters to gamers.

14 Posts

July 5th, 2015 12:00

That reminds me of people who said who needs Windows 7, all we need is Windows XP... Wait, then, of course, there were those who said who needs Windows XP, we're perfectly happy with Windows ME... Hmmm...

July 5th, 2015 17:00

Perhaps but who cares? 8.0 was a  failure. 8.1 was a failure and I am afraid to say it but so will 10 because it is trying to become a hybrid. Gamers don' t want touch and neither do I. Stay pure with Windows 7. It is the best. I just ordered and received a maxed out 500 GB/16 GB AW 15 laptop with the best CPU money can buy. My machine will run 7 forever with pride while others will struggle with compatibility headaches.  Windows 7 Rules with a matte screen!!

Bill

14 Posts

July 5th, 2015 18:00

Actually, you will care when Microsoft stops supporting Windows 7 in January 2020.  Maybe by then you will get a new machine.  Either way, you don't want to run an OS that is no longer patched or supported. As is typical, gaming companies will start migrating completely away from Windows 7 at least a year before the end-of-service-life date since they won't want to compile for dual Windows platforms (too expensive).

I am a gamer and I have the 18" with 1.5TB of storage, another 80GB SSD drive, 32GB of RAM, and 2 video cards SLI'd together (4GB) and I will be migrating.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 5th, 2015 22:00

1. That reminds me of people who said who needs Windows 7, all we need is Windows XP... Wait, then, of course,

2. there were those who said who needs Windows XP, we're perfectly happy with Windows ME... Hmmm...

1. Right. well mainly about Vista-64, but there were some still some XP hold-outs.
2. Umm, I don't think that really ever happened. [:)]

13 Posts

July 9th, 2015 09:00

oh god vista. vista had so many bugs. I remember having to reformat so many times. plus it had this ghost problem with my dvd/cd burner drive. they replaced it once but then there was no problem with it and it burned fine on every program EXCEPT windows movie maker. I loved that little piece of software too so I was angry when it stopped working lol. And I was grateful to move one to windows 7. lol

14 Posts

August 15th, 2015 15:00

Agreed...

14 Posts

August 15th, 2015 15:00

Your probably right about # 2... :-)

No Events found!