Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

March 3rd, 2017 08:00

Alienware 17 r4 Kaby Lake - Performance Mode (Fn+F7) Discrete GPU always enabled) not working

I am unable to enable "Switch to Performance Mode (Discrete GPU always enabled)" when pressing the Fn+F7 Keys on my Alienware 17 r4 Kaby Lake. This has persisted through multiple fresh Windows installs. I have attempted it by using only the drivers available from my Service Tag's download page, as well as the latest drivers available from nVidia and Intel's website. I have the 7820HK model with 4K UHD screen, Intel HD 630 Graphics and nVidia GTX 1070. I have also attempted to uninstall/reinstall the Alienware OSD application multiple times throughout troubleshooting and with each fresh Windows install.

This occurred when the BIOS version of the computer was K1.0.1 and also now that the BIOS version is K.1.0.5 which is the latest available on the Alienware downloads website.

Since the discrete GPU cannot be "always enabled," I am also unable to access any more than the three basic options in the nVidia Control Panel upon right clicking on the desktop.

Is anyone aware of a solution to provide consistent functionality of Performance Mode using the Fn+F7 keys? 

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

March 31st, 2017 12:00

Hi, 

Please send me your Service Tag in a PM, so we can look into this. To send a PM, hover your mouse to my username and select the "Message" option in the bottom of the window. 

No Events found!