Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

July 18th, 2017 06:00

Alienware 17 r4 stand by battery drain

Hello there, i'm having 3 main issues.

1. When i close all programs and shut the lid of the laptop, over night the whole battery drains, i'm not sure what the laptop is doing but i know that this is a problem. PLS HELP

2. When i try to turn on the laptop it doesn't turn on properly, all the beautiful light zones light up, but the screen stays dark, it takes me anywhere from 3-10 attempts (and this ONLY happens when the laptop is "cold" and by that i mean that is was turned off for some time)(and some times while i'm trying to successfully turn on the laptop the screen glitches out and i have a video to show that. Alenware 17 r4 glitcging out after stand by - YouTube  )

3. I keep  getting this popup that some dock is connected and that it is not supported.

I updated everything and the problems are sticking around.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

July 18th, 2017 08:00

Hallo.

hard to tell. something stays active after Shutdown. i meen it is not uncommon. for Example, RAM is still getting a tiny Bit of Power when Fast Boot is enabled but it doesn't require that much Power.

it could be a Hardware Error. faulty Motherboards can do that. run EPSA Test and see if it shows some Errors. hit F12 during Boot Up and let it work.

you said you've updated everything so i guess you updated BIOS as well.

try Power Drain / Clear CMOS. disconnect everything, remove the Battery, then open your Laptop and pull the Coin Cell Battery and then hold Power On Button for a Minute. put everything back together. after doing that the BIOS Settings including Time and Date are gone.

other then that, disable Fast Boot and Hybrid Mode in Windows Power Settings.

keep us updated PLZ.

8 Posts

July 19th, 2017 22:00

Thank you for the answer buddy but  the power drain did not change anything, and i disabled fast boot and hybrid was off on its own and the problem persists. I did the BIOS Alienware suport center test, the full one, the 4 hour test and it shows me that everything is in good condition. So i don't know i'm confused and out of ideas, i think the problem is hardware based sadly, witch means that i need to return the laptop for a new one.  I just want to add that besides those problems, the laptop is amazing, fly's through every task, gaming...pfff... easy. When it works, it f-ing works so the laptop is great when i fix the problems i'm gonna be a happy man with a very capable laptop.

July 20th, 2017 00:00

may i ask why you have to use Standby Mode? it looks like your Laptop can't wake up properly after you put it in Standby Mode. you can choose what happens when you shut the lid of your Laptop in Windows Power Settings. choose Shutdown instead of Standby Mode and your Laptop turns off completely.
you may have faulty Battery installed. next Time you go to Sleep, shutdown the Laptop and remove the Battery. leave it on a Table. next Day check if it discharged itself.
as mentioned before, Battery Discharge can be caused by an active Device. also Wake on Lan can cause it as well. open BIOS Settings and see if Wake On Lan is Enabled. additionally open Windows Device Manager > Network Adapter > Double Click on LAN Card > Power Settings and uncheck the Box which allows Windows to Wake Up the Laptop. do the Same with WLAN Card.

as for your 3rd Problem, open Device Manager and check if there are any Errors or unidentified Devices.
also check if you have Errors in Windows Reliability Monitor. type "Reliability" in Start Menu and pick "Show Reliability History" from the Result List.

8 Posts

August 23rd, 2017 07:00

The way i fixed the problem is by getting a replacement, and that worked out quite well, i got an upgrade from the 1060 to 1070.

But the new laptop has a problem with a USB port, i will send it for repairs and after that i hopefully will not have any more problems, thank you  very much for all the help.

August 23rd, 2017 08:00

Nice Upgrade.

But I Believe This Time You Will Get Your Motherboard Replaced And the New Board Will Be Probably a Refurbished One.

I Wish You All the Best.

Bye.

8 Posts

August 23rd, 2017 21:00

Well i hope it is gonna be a new part, they owe me a new laptop,i don't want to get any old parts. I guess if it works that's all that i need, but i would prefer it to be a new part.

Thank you for good wishes.

No Events found!