Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

November 20th, 2017 20:00

Alienware 17 r4 touchpad double clicks randomly

Hi,

I have had my laptop about a month now.   It doesn't happen all the time but randomly when you click the left button on the touchpad it double clicks instead of single clicking.  It makes opening menus in the browser hard because double clicks everything.  Also, hard to highlight things in word.  I have the gestures turned off and also I made sure the double click wasn't selected on the left button.  It does it randomly thought but it seems to be getting worse.  I tried uninstalling the touchpad software and re-installing but it didn't change anything.  I did download an older version of the software from Synaptics and it seemed to work better but Windows or Alienware keeps updating it and it goes back to the new version which is buggy.  I did diagnostics and it found no trouble with the touchpad but I don't really know if its the hardware or software.

Thanks

Sherie

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

November 22nd, 2017 10:00

Hi ‌,

Make sure the BIOS is up to date.

Also try with an external mouse to see if the same happens and let us know. 

3 Posts

November 22nd, 2017 14:00

I keep getting a message about updating the BIOS from my Dell update software.  When I try to install it goes through all the stuff and appears to install and restarts.  But then a while later it says update BIOS again. But the update version has the same number as the one installed so I don't know.

ThanksSherie

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S8 active, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

November 27th, 2017 06:00

It is a glitch on the application, we are working to get this fixed. 

December 8th, 2017 06:00

I have exactly the same problem with my Alienware 17 R4. Latest BIOS (1.2.1) and Synaptics driver (19.2.17.59). Windows 10 64-bit, everything up-to-date as per Windows Update and Dell support.

I do a lot of spreadsheet work on the go, and I've been very tempted to throw this laptop against the wall more than once. I now have to haul around an external mouse to avoid this problem, which is very inconvenient on flights. I literally put the external mouse on top of the keyboard right next to the touchpad. People look at me and think I'm mad.

You may also notice that the keyboard randomly misses keystrokes too.

3 Posts

December 8th, 2017 11:00

I gave up on mine and got me an XPS.  The aggravation it caused wasn't worth it.  The XPS uses windows drivers not synaptic.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S8 Active, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

December 11th, 2017 10:00

Hi ‌,

Send me a private message with the service tag so I can assist you further. 

2 Posts

December 23rd, 2017 22:00

Any updates on this issue.  This has been plaguing me for months and I have had the touchpad replaced.  Removed drivers and reinstalled. I have tried just about all ideas I could come up with. 

3 Posts

December 28th, 2017 07:00

I have had this problem since I received my 17 R4. I have tried all the solutions mentioned above and more to no avail, and I have to admit I'm starting to regret not just sending back the unit immediately within the refund period. Now I fear this issue will never be fixed and I will be stuck with this expensive but sorta broken hardware.

Slightly unrelated, apparently the latest AlienFX firmware has a problem with windows suspend/resume and keyboard backlighting will just stop working completely. This makes the keyboard way less usable (in low light) as well.

Overall I'm really disappointed with the 'rubber hits the road' experience of this machine, and I get the feeling that there was not quite the level of quality testing done as I had expected from Dell hardware. As of right now I will never be purchasing or recommending an Alienware product again for any serious or casual user/developer.

3 Posts

December 29th, 2017 08:00

Check what?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

December 29th, 2017 08:00

Hi ‌,

Send me a private message with the service tag so I can check.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

December 29th, 2017 09:00

So we can check your case. 

2 Posts

December 29th, 2017 09:00

I would appreciate an offer to look into my system as well.  I have had my touch pad replaced and all software uninstalled and reinstalled with no luck to the issue. 

3 Posts

December 31st, 2017 01:00

My My I was so attracted with reviews of Alienware 17 R4 but now I regret I asked brother to buy me one...luckily it is not shipped yet...

After checking on NotebookReview and this community I can't remember I ever saw so issue plagued product...backlight bleeding...overheating...uneven CPU cores temperatures caused by bad heatsink...now touchpad and keyboard issues...still RAM and storage are holding its grounds

Guys what is the refund period? 

3 Posts

January 1st, 2018 21:00

It really is a shame, especially for issues that seem to be in software, where otherwise decent hardware just needs to be patched to either work correctly or at least recover from an error more gracefully, but for whatever reason Dell just hasn't been able to dedicate the time and people needed to fix it.

I believe the refund period is 30 days?

No Events found!