Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 11th, 2014 08:00

Alienware 18 Black Screen of Death

Hello all,

I've bought laptop 20 days ago but laptop was shipped from US to Serbia so it arrived few days back. Problem occurred yesterday when i tried to play game first time. I've installed Windows 8.1, drivers, programs and all worked good while i've used google and ordinary stuff. But yesterday i tried first game and after 10-15min i exit game and then screen froze with blue squares everywhere and i've turned it off.

That is last time it was "alive". After i tried to turn it on but only LED worked and i think screen turns itself but nothing is showed on it. Also there is no beeps, nor any other picture. Just black screen. I've tried to remove battery and power but same thing happened. I've tried it again today but all was same.Black Screen of Death.

So i'm very annoyed with all of this. New laptop and broken from start.

Is there any solution for it?

8 Posts

January 14th, 2014 07:00

Hello Milena,

I've tried that and nothing happened. Fans are not spinning at all also. I think motherboard is dead. But we are in process of sorting this out with HIDevolution where i've bought A18. But because system was dead from day one i have right to get brand new system right? I don't want to fix brand new system. I would like replacement in whole because who knows what happened and what motherboard problem caused. I've bought extend warranty 4 years so i think i have right for it. 

• 

2.7K Posts

January 14th, 2014 07:00

Hello Dzigi!

I’m sorry to hear that you are having problems with your new system.

Are you able to connect an external monitor to the system? That way we will be able to determine if it’s an LCD issue or if the system is not responding at all.

6 Posts

January 16th, 2014 11:00

Hi Dzigi,

If I were you I'd return this laptop for a refund ASAP.  I ordered mine about 2 years ago and I cannot even begin to tell you how many problems I have had.  Over the past 2 years the video cards have had to be replaced no less than 5 times (conservative recollection), the motherboard has been replaced at least 3 times, LCD has been replaced once, power supply has been replaced twice, and currently the computer is in Dell Depot where the CPU and another round of graphics cards are being replaced. Let me be clear when I say that I literally BABY this machine, so it's nothing on my end.  Do yourself a favor and part ways with this horrendous computer and never look back.   

8 Posts

January 16th, 2014 13:00

Hello Makade,

To be honest from your words now i'm worried even more. I thought this system are made to be rock solid and without stuff like that but for now it was such soar taste in mouth. I've made deal with HID Evolution and it was pain to do it so i've shipped it back today and they agreed for replacement of whole laptop because i have feeling something is horrible wrong with this one. They told me they've arranged replacement with Dell and they've already made order. Also inside laptop someone tested stamp and put so many like 15+ stamps all around it inside it was scary. Like you've gave some child stamp and he/she hit it inside without any rational explanation. System from inside doesn't look like new at all because of that. I'll wait for replacement now around 3 weeks in total and i'll check then. If same is happened or anything i'l ask for refund because that is unexceptable for laptop that cost 5000$ dollars. I've paid this one with tax and everything 6000 euros or around 8000 dollars and for now it seems like it was biggest mistake i've ever done. Lets just hope new model will be better. I hope.

1.2K Posts

January 16th, 2014 14:00

dont worry Makade is just made and posting on every post cause his M18X had issues... well sorry my M17X had issues and i Did not do this  its childish.. but in the end i did sell off my M17X .. now got a M18X  Pre: Alienware 18

you have a totally different system then him   but regardless issues do arise . i have had my M18X R2 almost a year and only issues ive had were software conflicts Caused by Dell's Drivers and Bios at that(not gonna lie took me some time but i  got it done.)  .I  run it to the ground  if its not in a game or  folding or editing or doing all at once LOL ,  so basically runs 50%-100%  capacity most of the time since March , yes i baby mine, shut down clean out every few weeks, etc..  but its used for intended purpose ... its a high end machine ..

anyway can i get some more information on your system? like specs, cpu/video etc...  we can then help out further..

8 Posts

January 17th, 2014 01:00

Hello,

This is specification of system:

Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro, 64bit 

Processor: 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4800MQ 4-Core Processor, 2.7GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.7GHz) 

Video Card: Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 780M with 4GB GDDR5 - NVIDIA SLI® Enabled 

LCD Panel: 18.4" WLED FHD (1920x1080) TrueLife Display 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1866MHz (2x8GB kit) 

mSATA SSD (OS): Plextor M5M SATA III 6Gb/s 128GB mSATA SSD 

SSD (Primary): Samsung 840 Pro Series SATA III 6Gb/s 256GB SSD 

Hard Drive (Storage): 2x1TB 7.200rpm SATA III 6Gb/s 

Wireless Card: Killer™ Wireless-N 1103 a/g/n 3x3 

Notebook Cooler: CM Storm SF-19 Strike Force

I've send laptop yesterday back to HID so they'll arrange replacement with Dell. I'll get new model because it was DOA from start.

Btw thank you from comforting words:) I feel better now.

6 Posts

January 22nd, 2014 14:00

Personal attacks are inappropriate here.  So according to you I am "childish" for simply letting people know of my experience?  Don't public forums exist to share information and experiences with one another?  Whatever. 

To add insult to injury, I am happy to report that my computer will be in Depot for another 9 days as they "wait for a part."  My guess is that all of us who got scammed are waiting for the same part.  So, after all that I have been through with this computer the latest iteration will have cost me a month without my computer.......again.  I would laugh if it wasn't so sad. 

6 Posts

January 22nd, 2014 16:00

No it is not exclusively a support forum and I am hardly "spamming" someone else's thread.  I am simply pointing out the commonality in our experiences.  Even Dell's logo for this forum says "share your Alienware experiences", so I did.  Apparently, you think you can decide which experiences are valid or not.  Besides, why would I have the answer to other people's problems when Dell doesn't even have the answers for mine at this point? 

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.
Finally, I would just like to point out that I do have an m18xr2 (ie, my original computer was replaced with an r2 last summer).  Guess what?  Same list of issues. The issues I listed are across two laptops.  For example, the graphics cards have been replaced twice in the new laptop by technicians sent to my home.  The most current repair (which includes another replacement of graphics cards) is the one that includes the CPU replacement and is taking a month to complete. 
Look, I have been a loyal customer to Dell for many years now.  I am very easy going and rarely complain about these kinds issues (I can't even recall the last time I have "complained" on a forum or written a bad review for a product).  But, I lost my patience several months and repairs ago.  Why am I not justified in my frustration and my expression of my experiences after I have spent almost $5000 on a laptop?  What could you possibly gain by defending a corporation that has behaved in this matter? 

1.2K Posts

if you have issues or concerns by all means post but make your own thread  <-------- so yea share your  experiences ....

defend? somewhat I had a 41000.00 SUV and it spent more time in the shop then in my driveway... 3rd party arbitration fixed that 

don't even go there with the outsourced tech.. most know less then my 7 year old and do  more damage... sending it to dell should actually solve this with qualified people but don't hold your breath....

but anyway goodluck hopefully issues get resolved

1.2K Posts

things break it happens.. this is a support forum not a venting forum.. you had nothing  valid to say about persons issue or offered any help..just added fuel to the fire about a different system  at that

ive had my M18X r2 for almost a year and I ride it to the ground modded  bios and all and report  runs like an ox so far..

if you have issues or concerns by all means post but make your own thread  not spam others , just way you did it wasn't the proper way

No Events found!