Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

November 14th, 2017 22:00

Alienware 18 CPU temperature issue

I have had Alienware 18 for about 3 years. I have upgraded my GPUs to 980m sli. From early of this year, I have noticed that temperature of CPU are easily goes up to 80-90 degrees. I have changed the thermopaste. What else could be wrong?

Thank you.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

November 15th, 2017 14:00

Hi ‌,

Make sure the BIOS version is up to date.

Those temps are considered normal while the system is under heavy load, if it goes above 96 you might need to replace the CPU fan.  

2 Posts

November 15th, 2017 15:00

Hi Eimy

Bios is definitely updated to A12 (2015 ver.)

The fan is working when CPU gets hot. It usually delays a little bit to run. Usually it does not run at full speed continuously unless CPU is under heavy load for a long time. However, the temperature fluctuate a lot when using. For example, when under heavy load, temperature of CPU varies between 70-90 degrees. Randomly, it goes beyond 90, like 92, 93. 

Do you think it is still an issue with the fan? Or should I check thermal paste again (cuz it might fail again)?

Thank you

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

November 15th, 2017 23:00

ask around at NoteBook Review, it's a jumping forum with more of your peers there than here, perhaps years of accumulated knowledge already laid down > http://forum.notebookreview.com/forums/alienware-18-and-m18x.1092/

No Events found!