Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 26th, 2014 18:00

Alienware 18 - Fried Motherboard in 3 months

Alienware 18

16GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz
Dual NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 770M graphics with 6GB total (2x 3GB) GDDR5 - NVIDIA SLI(R) Enabled
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.4GHz w/ Turbo Boost)

Order Date: 1/24/2014
Delivered On: 2/1/2014
Fried Motherboard: 4/21/2014

I wakeup one morning then watched some youtube clips then went to have breakfast. When I came back, the laptop is dead. Everything is off.
I tried pulling the plug from the wall then plugging it again but that might have added to the problem since I started smelling burning electronics after that.
What gives? Has the quality of alienware really declined that only 3 months of use and the laptop falls apart?
Was it something I did? I have been using it to play games, since thats whats it is for.
It couldn't have been caused by a heating issue since, I'm living on the eastcoast and its been really cold here these past months, with the polar vortex and extended winter.

Could somebody please advice me on how I might prevent this from happening?

2 Posts

April 26th, 2014 18:00

Btw, I already sent it for repairs and they are replacing the motherboard.
I will be recieve the laptop on April 28.

Thats why I am asking, was it something I did? How do I prevent it from happening again?

1.8K Posts

April 28th, 2014 11:00

Hi,

It's unlikely that something you did caused the problem with the Motherboard. Of course power outages, overheating, etc can cause hardware issues, but it can also be due to normal wear. 

Please update the thread when you receive and test the computer so we know if everything is working properly. Let me know if you have any other questions

No Events found!